Michigan Waters Michigan Waters Michigan Waters Michigan Waters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Waters

Question Michigan Waters

Hey guys! I love all the info here and learn alot from reading your posts but almost all of you fish Ohio waters. Does anyone have any links for message boards or websites with fishing reports for the Michigan waters of Lake Erie? It seems like we are the only one here that fishes MI waters. Thanks in advance to any and all that can point me in the right direction.
    Dawn

Unhappy M waters....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eyes View Post
    Hey guys! I love all the info here and learn alot from reading your posts but almost all of you fish Ohio waters. Does anyone have any links for message boards or websites with fishing reports for the Michigan waters of Lake Erie? It seems like we are the only one here that fishes MI waters. Thanks in advance to any and all that can point me in the right direction.
    Dawn
    Michigan waters suck this year. In the past (when Lake Erie was actually the walleye capital ie 3 years ago) we did well in MI. We were just talking about that today. We drift fish and I use to be concerned about drifting into other boats. Also, the OH charters would be lined up on the Mi-OH line. Not anymore. Of course it doesn't help that the walleye population is down 70% from 4 years ago.....

Default here

Try www.michigansportsman.com.Another is www.michigan-sportsman.com. A lot of good stuff, Mike
    Last edited by fishin2; 07-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Michigan sportsman is a good site, as so is this one and others. I fish MI waters a lot/mostly just due to time and $$. And make trips down when possible. It would be worth your while to get Ohio lic. Like now, there are more fish in the deeper water like the west and north side of west sister. Around an 18 mile run from Sterling or Bolles. But you don't have to always go that far. If you don't mind fishing weeds, there are always walleye around of Fermi. Late Sept/Oct typically the walleye move back this way. Usually most of the summer you can run the shipping channel, the turnaround and south and find some fish there or the dumping grounds. The buoy's marking the end of the Raisin River is another area to always check. I've caught lots of walleye in 9 f.o.w. out from Sterling when everyone is running out long distances. But if you get any other boat traffic around you, they shut off and your done. There is almost always some walleye from inside Brestbay to the Line, you just have to find them and what they want.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobd47fish View Post
    Michigan waters suck this year. In the past (when Lake Erie was actually the walleye capital ie 3 years ago) we did well in MI. We were just talking about that today. We drift fish and I use to be concerned about drifting into other boats. Also, the OH charters would be lined up on the Mi-OH line. Not anymore. Of course it doesn't help that the walleye population is down 70% from 4 years ago.....
    Ya down 70% because all those idiots keeping big pig females just to brag to there buddies,killing the future of the fishery!!!

Default yonder

You have no clue . Bet you have never kept a female walleye anytime of the year weather it be 18 inches or 30 inches ? Funny that the ice season and spring fishing were banner years for walleyes and the bite east of the Islands has been outstanding as well . Yep no eyes left in Erie. Time to find a new lake to fish .

Dale
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    You have no clue . Bet you have never kept a female walleye anytime of the year weather it be 18 inches or 30 inches ? Funny that the ice season and spring fishing were banner years for walleyes and the bite east of the Islands has been outstanding as well . Yep no eyes left in Erie. Time to find a new lake to fish .
    Dale
    I'm guessing your one of the idiots, the point is fishing is advancing an today's fisherman can target big females weather it be spring or ice season, so the statements that you can't hurt the lake by hook an lining walleyes, that you can only hurt them with nets, was true 20 years ago but now a days with sonar and flashers and better boats,all the new equipment a guy can go out there and catch a 60 pound bag of fish. Every female fish that is taken out of the lake hurts it to sum extent, it's pretty obvious the reason why the walleye numbers other than algae an other effects, it's the advancement of the modern day fisherman has more a range an knowledge of the lake. I'm not going to lie I have kept a female fish before but never a 30 incher we caught multiple this ice season everyone went back, they taste bad an most guys that keep them take them around show them off then throw them away, what other reason would you keep multiple 30+'s for? One is fine for the wall the rest are just to see who has the bigger D!#%!!!

Default Ahhh I see

You bet I keep the big girls . The DNR says I am allowed 6 fish a day above 15 inches period !!! You think you know all but yet our DNR sets the rules and regs every year . How about you loke up and see the last time us hook, line and sinker fishermen caught out TAC set by them .

Like I said above , you know better then the DNR on the walleye situation in the lake . Just wait till this fall when the fish show back up into the Michigan waters and all will be good . Until then , I will keep and do so legelly any size walleyes I care to above 15 inches !!

Dale
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Well that's a good way of looking at things, kill all the big fish now, then when the DNR changes the limit to 3 or less you will wonder why? Hahaha never said I knew more then the DNR but I do know that every 30 in female that is being killed that's responsible for producing thousands of walleyes will hurt the fishery so you keep telling yourself that pulling those fish out doesn't hurt the lake.
    Last edited by Yonder; 07-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Default just another thing

you think you know . Once again DNR has stated over and over that the 28 inch and bigger (older females) have done their job of helping the population . The older they are the less fertile their eggs are with lower hatch rates . The 20-25 inch fish are the prime spawners so keep taking those out of the system and see what happens .
    At my age . I have seen Erie at her best and worst through the days . Erie is far far from being fished out like some people believe . Mother nature has more control then any of us fishermen or DNR has . She controls the spawn weather good or bad .

Dale
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners