Michigan Waters Michigan Waters Michigan Waters Michigan Waters
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Michigan Waters

Post Thanks / Like

Default big females

I agree with yonder. but 15 inch an over is the law. an no I aint a biologist either. dave

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the people on this site seems to me run charters. If I were to pay the good money to have someone take me walleye fishing and then tell me which fish I could keep or not I would be upset. Although when I start my seaon down on the maumee I only keep the jacks to fill up my freezer. I see a lot of big females being taken every year and although I release them it is not my say who keeps what. I also see a lot of foul hooked eyes go on stringers, again not my business. I have the chance to fish as much as weather will allow because I work an off shift. Some folks can only get out a couple times a year. You get a lot of meat off them big eyes. They go for freezer fish so its up to them what to keep. I myself love to eat walleye and don't cut this out or that out, I like the whole fillet so to me a bigger fish is more food for me. If you needa special size fish to eat they sell it at kroger. This is my first year with my own boat and the guys and gals on here have been nuthin but courteous and helpful to me. Although I am all the way west in point place I still get a lot of help by reading what the fish are doing. We all have our opinions but the name calling seems a little excessive. Have FUN fishing and talkin about fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I do apologize for calling fish head an idiot an am calm now, does not mean I agree with it but people can do what they want and it's not against the law,its just against my way of thinking
    ,but fish head I apologize!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    You have no clue . Bet you have never kept a female walleye anytime of the year weather it be 18 inches or 30 inches ? Funny that the ice season and spring fishing were banner years for walleyes and the bite east of the Islands has been outstanding as well . Yep no eyes left in Erie. Time to find a new lake to fish .

Dale
    The big problem with this post is Dale doesn't know how to analyze OR read. The original post stated MICHIGAN waters, and trust me, I've been fishing LE for 21 years and it has changed, due to GLOBAL WARMING. My catch rate is down as is that of a number of fishermen I know as well as most of the MI charter captains. I've caught more sheepshead and white perch than walleye the past three years and my catch rate (# or fish/ trip) is substantially down. White perch ( a warm water species) has exploded in LE. Charter captains out of Michigan ports used to take 36 walleye in the morning and 36 more in the evening (asuming 6 guests) (60 each when the limit was 10/angler). That RARELY happens now. Additionally, Ohio captains used to line up on the MI-OH line to fish AND I used to have to pay close attention to the drift of my boat to stay out of the way of other boats. That is past history, there are very few boats fishing MI waters compared to 4 years ago. THe reason in my opinion is that the lake is warming too quickly. The fish are moving east sooner. July used to be the best month but now it's May and/or early June. Quite a few MI anglers are switching to yellow perch on the 4th of July because we don't want the 25 mi run to West Sister. We rarely had to make that run in the past, now it's almost necessary mid June and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Michigan waters

Being from Toledo, I would say 75% of my fishing is done in the Michigan waters out of SSP and Bolles. Yes I know how to read . Fully agree it is water temps as well. The main reason is that the majority of fish are now the bigger fish from the 03 year class in the lake meaning they dont tolerate the warm water. Erie goes in cycles with her bounty. I will be fishing out in the Michigan waters tomorrow evening as there are still plenty of fish there just not schooled ip .

Like Tom Ebijack said in his post, the Michigan fish in the summer are in places you wouldn't think. Guys who look for a steady report to catch their fish there are never very successful. Think outside the box and you may be surprised by the results.In this case this summer the pack is not your friend. Learn the area and try different areas and you may be surprised. Fishing memories will make for some not so good trips.

Dale
    Last edited by fishhead315; 07-07-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, I started the thread and it got hijacked, lol! I've been fishing since I was a kid but only seriously fishing since my daughter was 2, so almost 14yrs. As to the hijacked topic I will throw in my 2 cents since I did start the thread. DNR sets the limits based on what the lake/fish population can support. We follow those laws. The laws state quantity caught and minimum size. They do not specify maximum length or ***. That is a personal decision for each angler to make for whatever reasons they chose. If I caught a 30 incher, that baby would be coming home with me whether its male, female, or hermaphrodite! I don't care what anyone thinks about it. I am not breaking the law. It would be my RIGHT to make that decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree