Large school of eyes 6/28 Large school of eyes 6/28 Large school of eyes 6/28 Large school of eyes 6/28

Default Large school of eyes 6/28

My son and grand kids from KY showed up right on time this morning and we headed out at 7:15am. Went straight to the area east of the firing range where I had done well 2 weeks ago splitting D-Can and F-Can coming from the Toussaint River. There were several boats in the area of D-Can on north to Niagara Reef. We went about a mile further east of the firing range and shut down to check for marks. The whole screen was loaded from about 15 ft clear down to the bottom and we were all by ourselves. Water depth was 26 ft.

We got the kicker running and warmed up and started setting the lines at 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. Before we could get the other 2 lines in the 30, 35 and 40 lines fired and we boxed 3 nice eaters about 20 inches long. We then got the lines back in the water all set at 35 back and it was on! The best speed was 1.5 to 1.8 GPS speed with gold blades with orange beads, pretty panties blades with red beads doing all of the damage behind Church Tackle TX-22 and Walleye boards and Tru-Trip 40's.

My favorite gold blade with orange beads was the hot one today, as that combination took 16 or 17 of the 4 man limit. We made 3 long trolls and picked some nice fish with 7 in the 24 to 26 inch class, with the rest being in the 18 to 20 inch class. We released several 15/16 inch fish and about a dozen shorts as well.

The nice part of the whole thing was that we had our trolling line all to ourselves as everyone seemed determined to fish the pack between D-Can and Niagara. We would pull the lines and head back up to our starting point as soon as we started getting to the edge of the pack.

There is a massive school of walleyes in that area right now just east of the firing range just waiting on someone's spoons or harnesses. So go get them!!
    The junk fish were not very bad today but there are some very large FO sheephead out there right now to add some excitement to your day, so be prepared.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Way to go! Knew you were going out and wondering all day yesterday if you were getting into them! Doesn't get any better than hungry walleyes and fishing with family!

Good job! It's good to know they haven't all moved East yet. Like LE said, it doesn't get any better than great action shared with the family!

I wish I was up there with you but a wedding has kept me close to home this weekend. I might just have to take a day off this week to feed my addiction to those fish with teeth!

Thanks for the report!

There was a single head boat between us and Catawba, he was evidently catching fish as they kept going back for new drifts. Never got close enough to see which boat it was. We did not see any other boats fishing in that area until we got closer to D-Can, and we never ran out of heavy marks even when we extended our troll to the south east of our original starting point before starting a new troll back toward D-Can. There was also a small pack North of Green and another pack further ENE past Rattlesnake. Also had good marks between C-Can and the Pickeral Reefs, they were good enough that had I been looking for walleyes I would have given it a try. Once again there were no boats working the area NE of the Pickeral Reefs. We were just loafing along on our way back in after trying for some perch at C-Can and noticed the marks. We only managed maybe 7 or 8 keeper perch so we headed in.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-29-2014 at 09:04 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    My son and grand kids from KY showed up right on time this morning and we headed out at 7:15am. Went straight to the area east of the firing range where I had done well 2 weeks ago splitting D-Can and F-Can coming from the Toussaint River. There were several boats in the area of D-Can on north to Niagara Reef. We went about a mile further east of the firing range and shut down to check for marks. The whole screen was loaded from about 15 ft clear down to the bottom and we were all by ourselves. Water depth was 26 ft.

We got the kicker running and warmed up and started setting the lines at 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. Before we could get the other 2 lines in the 30, 35 and 40 lines fired and we boxed 3 nice eaters about 20 inches long. We then got the lines back in the water all set at 35 back and it was on! The best speed was 1.5 to 1.8 GPS speed with gold blades with orange beads, pretty panties blades with red beads doing all of the damage behind Church Tackle TX-22 and Walleye boards and Tru-Trip 40's.

My favorite gold blade with orange beads was the hot one today, as that combination took 16 or 17 of the 4 man limit. We made 3 long trolls and picked some nice fish with 7 in the 24 to 26 inch class, with the rest being in the 18 to 20 inch class. We released several 15/16 inch fish and about a dozen shorts as well.

The nice part of the whole thing was that we had our trolling line all to ourselves as everyone seemed determined to fish the pack between D-Can and Niagara. We would pull the lines and head back up to our starting point as soon as we started getting to the edge of the pack.

There is a massive school of walleyes in that area right now just east of the firing range just waiting on someone's spoons or harnesses. So go get them!!
    The junk fish were not very bad today but there are some very large FO sheephead out there right now to add some excitement to your day, so be prepared.
    There were people catching perch over near Rattlesnake but the walleye sure weren't there. I couldn't find walleye at any of my regular stops this time of year. To far to run to the cans or run all the way to Vermillion and I thought I could find some walleye at one of my favorite places but got totally skunked.

fished around D can first half of day. pulled one on gold bladed worm harness 60 back. moved north east towards green island around noon and caught 7 more plus about 10 short fish on purple demon and jaeger bombs 35 to 45 back on 40s. then the storm hit... guys wanted to go in so we quit. all in all good day should have had more fish. ended up 1.5 mi sw of green

Default Good Report

Wakina-Just like this last report you do a very good job with sharing information and I'm sure a lot of people appreciate seeing them. I always thought I should know you and it took a couple years but I just realized who you are from your past reports. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by island troller View Post
    Wakina-Just like this last report you do a very good job with sharing information and I'm sure a lot of people appreciate seeing them. I always thought I should know you and it took a couple years but I just realized who you are from your past reports. Thanks again
    island troller:

Thank you so much for the compliment it is greatly appreciated.

No reports last year from me as my boat was broke down and I was having some health issues. I never made it out on the lake last year! I had several offers from members of this site but either I was committed to medical things or the weather was not cooperative so my opportunities to fish were lost.

I have not fished as much as I would have like to this year as the issues with the new motor have just been recently resolved. The long block that I purchased was fine, it was a fuel delivery problem that took place with the old parts that I transferred to the new long block. I kept chasing it around from one spot to another, it was something that was not recorded in the ECM so it made the task more difficult.

I enjoy helping out others who are having difficulties with equipment as well as those who only get up to fish on week ends, a couple of times a month or a couple of times a year. I joined this site because I felt that maybe I could help a few people catch some of the bounty the lake has to offer. Everyone who fishes the lake started at zero knowledge, so why not share if you have something that can help others shorten that learning curve, that is what true sportsman and fishermen do, that is what this site is all about. I also freely admit that I have little if any patience with those who belittle or make fun of those who ask legitimate questions, or chastise those who follow the law just because they keep big hens in the spring or a few smallmouth to eat in the summer.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-30-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Great to hear they're still in the area...will give it a go this week...thanks for the report Wakina