size and kind of treble on stingers scorpions? size and kind of treble on stingers scorpions? size and kind of treble on stingers scorpions? size and kind of treble on stingers scorpions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default size and kind of treble on stingers scorpions?

i had a big old heavy cat chomp onto my stinger scorpion cat dog this weekend, he had all 3 points of the treble hooked in him, by the time i got it out i had broken one of the points off of the treble on the spoon, i am curious what size and type to replace it with, and i guess it wouldnt hurt to get some extras to have on the boat for this type of situation in the future

Smile hook replacement

heres what we switched to, mustad 38246r red treble size 2 at netcraft, alot less fish lost at net.

i couldnt find 38246, did you mean 36246?

I went online to a web site that sold the spoons and they also had a bag of the exact treble hooks that comes with them, they were reasonably priced so I bought a bag I think 20 or so for like 5 bucks I don't remember the web site, I bought a spoon caddy as well, I love the spoon caddy. Maybe google spoon caddy.

Default no what

I use a number 4 treble with a no 3 split ring that is whats recommended for pro eye spoons that are the same size

A Charter Capt. told me to go to the next size bigger wire treble because the hooks that come on the stinger spoons junk. I took his advice and did not loose near as many hookups. I had asked him because I was loosing 3 out of 4.I think it was a size 2 treble

if you buy treble hooks a lot of people recommend a triple grip hook, I think mustad makes a triple grip.

Quote Originally Posted by 870 ExpressMag View Post
    i had a big old heavy cat chomp onto my stinger scorpion cat dog this weekend, he had all 3 points of the treble hooked in him, by the time i got it out i had broken one of the points off of the treble on the spoon, i am curious what size and type to replace it with, and i guess it wouldnt hurt to get some extras to have on the boat for this type of situation in the future
    If you have not already done so then it would be advisable to also get a good set of split ring pliers. I will make the experience of changing hooks almost bearable. When ever I change out the trebles I usually use the VMC barbarian trebles in size 4 to me they have excellent gripping/holding power.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

After fishing scorpion spoons with the treble hooks for a few years, someone put me on 1/0 Gamakatsu siwash hooks (Open eye, nickel color.) Unhooking trash fish with a treble can be a nightmare sometimes and the single hook siwash seems to vastly alleviate this. Also when you have multiple hook ups with access to only one net, it is much easier to remove the single hook set up from the net and move on to the next fish compared to the treble snagging and tangling the netting.

After about four seasons with the single hook set up, I feel that my hookup rate has not been adversely affected and if anything has improved. The new treble on the scorpion set up is junk and very prone to breaking causing one to loose fish. After these four seasons, I haven’t had a single siwash fail mechanically. I would recommend the switch but if you talk to five different people, you would probably get five different ways that they do things!

My 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by Buc-Eye View Post
    After fishing scorpion spoons with the treble hooks for a few years, someone put me on 1/0 Gamakatsu siwash hooks (Open eye, nickel color.) Unhooking trash fish with a treble can be a nightmare sometimes and the single hook siwash seems to vastly alleviate this. Also when you have multiple hook ups with access to only one net, it is much easier to remove the single hook set up from the net and move on to the next fish compared to the treble snagging and tangling the netting.

After about four seasons with the single hook set up, I feel that my hookup rate has not been adversely affected and if anything has improved. The new treble on the scorpion set up is junk and very prone to breaking causing one to loose fish. After these four seasons, I haven’t had a single siwash fail mechanically. I would recommend the switch but if you talk to five different people, you would probably get five different ways that they do things!

My 2 cents!
    I have friends that swear by this style hook for their worm harnesses, claiming almost the same thing about the ability to unhook the un desirable fish and net tangles.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip