boat/trolling rite of way ?? boat/trolling rite of way ?? boat/trolling rite of way ?? boat/trolling rite of way ??
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Dead Right

A pedestrian in a crosswalk always has the right of way, just like a boat that is drifting...

Of course walking out in a crosswalk on a busy NYC street just to prove a point may make you right, may make you "dead right."

I can't tell you how many times someone pulls up 100 yards right in my troll line and shuts their engine off and start drifting. Legally they might have the right ow way... But they have no consideration or sportsman etticate.
    I am NOT, let me repeat, I am NOT saying or suggesting that is what you did at all... Just saying there are times that a drifter doesn't have the right of way.

Go park in the Ferry channel and perch fish.... Go stop 100 yards directly in front of one of the ferries and then tell them to go around. They will. But that doesn't make it right.

Okay. There. I ranted a little, and NOT at magnum... The poor guy just joined, I wouldn't do that to him.., that's just for all you drifters who have been around and know what I'm saying and you do it to prove a point.

-Matt

Okay.... I opened myself up.... Fire away!

Default No respect

Zanderman....I hear you on the bigger boats feeling they have the right of way regardless. We were trolling last year over by Niagra and this large catamaran is far behind us traveling same direction at a faster speed and when he catches up to us he starts blasting away on his air horn for us to get out of his way! I know not all larger boats act this way but this one in particular thinks he owns the lake!

I had a much better time last Saturday trolling all alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Zanderman....I hear you on the bigger boats feeling they have the right of way regardless. We were trolling last year over by Niagra and this large catamaran is far behind us traveling same direction at a faster speed and when he catches up to us he starts blasting away on his air horn for us to get out of his way! I know not all larger boats act this way but this one in particular thinks he owns the lake!

I had a much better time last Saturday trolling all alone!
    Was the boat in question Papa Smurf Charters? Sounds like the same boat, watched while his one board hit an anchored boat at C Can not to long ago.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    A pedestrian in a crosswalk always has the right of way, just like a boat that is drifting...

Of course walking out in a crosswalk on a busy NYC street just to prove a point may make you right, may make you "dead right."

I can't tell you how many times someone pulls up 100 yards right in my troll line and shuts their engine off and start drifting. Legally they might have the right ow way... But they have no consideration or sportsman etticate.
    I am NOT, let me repeat, I am NOT saying or suggesting that is what you did at all... Just saying there are times that a drifter doesn't have the right of way.

Go park in the Ferry channel and perch fish.... Go stop 100 yards directly in front of one of the ferries and then tell them to go around. They will. But that doesn't make it right.

Okay. There. I ranted a little, and NOT at magnum... The poor guy just joined, I wouldn't do that to him.., that's just for all you drifters who have been around and know what I'm saying and you do it to prove a point.

-Matt

Okay.... I opened myself up.... Fire away!
    i know you said you were not suggesting thats what i did, and i dont take offense to it, as i know thats not what we did. i try to be as courteous and sportsmanlike as possible, hell i get excited if im not catching a damn thing but they are slaying them in the boat next door, im just happy to be doing something i love and just as happy for the next guy thats succeeding. i just wanted clarification on who was legally in the right. and as i said, i did power up and move anyways, and i would do it the next time as well, as i said i wouldn;t create a problem just to prove a point.

Default anchored

Had that happen, I was anchored perch fishing and a guy comes trolling by and snags my anchor rope and yells at me for having too much anchor line out.
    go figure, avoid packs as much as possible, usually catch more fish anyway.

I have read all these posts and have experienced just about all of these situations myself over the years. With these new phones that do short videos we should start taking videos of the really stupid and "wrong" legal things we see and post them on here with an explanation of what is not legal. Perhaps some of these people will see themselves or their own boats on here and see what they are doing wrong. Just the fact that you are pulling an idiot move and get posted on video would embarrass me enough to sell my boat.
    Then again it may make some think and get the message..........

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Was the boat in question Papa Smurf Charters? Sounds like the same boat, watched while his one board hit an anchored boat at C Can not to long ago.
    I have seen this guy myself a month or so ago west of Kelley's . I have 196 StarCraft w/ I pilot and had to keep altering my course even though I had the right of way on several passes. I always alter my course for the J-A**ess with the bigger boats just to avoid the BS. You do not see these guys in march or April.
    Last edited by eyedrifter; 06-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Angry jack ass

keep cutting me off also fathersday weekend out by a can . name like that what do you expect.

Default right of way

Penalty Box,
    I agree. I give it my best shot to be courteous and move away but when you move in a direction and the other guy keeps following you and rocks are near then what? There was no where else to go. Hopefully, the next time I run into someone like that on the water it will be you and you will be courteous and move away from me as well as I move away from you

Default fwiw

kinda reminds me of fishing on the lake all by myself and watch as a sailboat uses me as a referencing point and comes by and hooks on to two of my planers, I'm sorry, I do not tolerate ignorance and stupidity on the water all at the same time. His wife's mouth was wide open after my blatant suggestions of what and where he should go. Shame on her for associating with such an ignoranus.
    All this talk kinda reminds me of ice fishing, you are slaying the fish and some ignoranus has the blatant audacity to drill a hole just a mere 6 ft away from yours. You just can't make this stuff up, it happens and the Lord made these people on the day of rest and with a dearth and shortage of parts.

Be respectful when trolling, troll with the wind and go downstream then pull up and gently guide your boat back around the pack to repeat, not through with a vengeance.There are some that are just born short of intelligence and show a resolve to pizz others off and zig zag through the pack in opposite directions causing a lot of angst with there fellow fishermen.