Big Spoons? Big Spoons? Big Spoons? Big Spoons?

Thread: Big Spoons?

Default Big Spoons?

I have never done any troling on Lake erie but I have on Lake Mich. and have a lot of salmon gear. Question is would I be wasting my time pulling the Big salmon spoons on Erie and has anyone ever used J plugs for walleye out in the deeper water. Also I have several big dipseys would they work ok?
    Thanks. john

In the past I have used all the presentations you mentioned and they all work in the deeper water, aka 60'+, off Geneva and Conneaut, even the J-Plug. At the moment I am looking for a jointed blue and silver J-Plug to replace one a rather large walleye borrowed from me last summer and forgot to return.

jon1962 Guest

Default Big Spoons

If you are targeting walleye in the Western Basin (Bass Islands to Michigan Water) then I think you are wasting time dragging big spoons or other Lake Michigan gear with the exception of some body baits you may use off planer boards for steelhead. All the small spoons (Michigan Stinger, Warrior, Dreamweaver, etc..) work for walleye. They resemble the small forage minnows the walleye target in Lake Erie. I have tried regular size spoons over the years with no luck at all.

I've used the big spoons. I've caught fish on them. Seems sometimes the bigger walleye come on the bigger spoons. Also I've caught less trash fish on them.