Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus

i am getting a line counting reel. i purchased an okuma magda pro 20DLX. i had seen a lot of mention of them and the price was right for me. i just went on a charter that had all daiwa accudepth plus reels and one magda pro. the accudepth was a nice reel, the magda pro was rough, and dad commented how it was not very smooth, the charter captain then put it away and said he had a lot of problems with em and got out another accudepth. now i know the charter equipment gets used way more than my stuff will, and probably abused more too cause of all the different people that use it. i liked the magda pro because i could get it in left hand reel, i am right handed but prefer to reel with my left, however i can manage reeling with my right. so this all comes down to my question, would it be worth it for me to return the magda pro before i use it and just get an accudepth?

Default Reels

I started using Daiwa 27 LC counter reels when they first came out. I now have 10 of them and I am not about to change. In the past I had 3 develop problems and the factory fixed them with a fast turnaround at a reasonable price. They did their job today and 15 walleye ended up in my cooler.

I have 4 Okuma Convectors that I bought with really nice 7 1/2 ft Blue Diamond (?) rods from Fishing USA for just over $100 each. They are great reels. I think the Convector is a lot nicer than the Magda Pro. I've used the Magda pros on charters and they are not nearly as nice as the Convecrtor. I think Diawa makes a great reel as well, so it's more about model to model comparison in my opinion. Just for what it's worth.

Default You pay for the Quality

I have Diawa's and I have had no issues other than the wife breaking off a handle throwing the pole out of the way after landing one Chinook to get to another pole that went LIVE during the first hook up.

Cabela's depth master reels have been spotty with the counters but better in the recent models.

Magda Pro's a little rougher at times but going from Walleyes to Salmon and back the all get a work out using big Dipseys.

Overall my preference would be the Diawa Accudepth but my pocketbook does not always agree. What's on sale work fine with no reel failures during a hookup. No Lost fish due to reel malfunction.

handling damage has been the biggest problem

Franks great outdoors and northwoods outlet had daiwa accudepths plus 27 for 54.99 each hard to beat that price , franks also has ugly stick cal1100 for 19.99 , hard to beat that combo for the price

Default For what it's worth on reels

For what it's worth, I used a couple of Accu Depth LC 27's and Shakespeare Arsenals and wanted all the same reels so I decided to upgrade. I bought the Okuma Convectors, a little higher dollar than the Magda and if I had it to do all over again I would go back to the Accu Depth LC27's.

The drag on the Okuma Convectors is a pain to set. Even if I back them off completely the spool does not release until I turn the handle a little and when it does release I have to reset the drag to the desired tension. Never had any other reels that did this but all 6 of my Convectors do. My fishing buddy agrees with me too and he uses them as much as I do. Maybe there is a trick to them that I don't know about because they came highly recommended, but that has been my experience after 2 years of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetiger View Post
    Franks great outdoors and northwoods outlet had daiwa accudepths plus 27 for 54.99 each hard to beat that price , franks also has ugly stick cal1100 for 19.99 , hard to beat that combo for the price
    cant seem to find cal1100 on their site...can you send me link?

Quote Originally Posted by 870 ExpressMag View Post
    cant seem to find cal1100 on their site...can you send me link?
    They may be sold out! That particular rod is no longer made and has been replaced by a new model ~~ Ugly Stik GX2 rods.

http://www.uglystik.com/Ugly-Stik%C2...d.html#start=1
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Just when I decide on something, I can't get it, anyone have experience with the new gx2 rods?

Default okuma

we run 4 Okuma magda pro 30 model line counter reels and we love them!!! they have been great reels.. a friend of mine runs the okuma magda pro 20's and he has 14 of them and really likes them also..