Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is just from my experience, but I have 4 years on my Magda 20's... some pro's and some not. Well over 100 trips and 1000's of fish. They sit in the rocket launchers all summer long, April to November... rain, storms, heat, even snow. I have had a couple counters get sticky which was easy to fix, but other than that no real issues. Personally I believe they are a bargain for paying less than 35 dollars. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just giving my personal experience with Okuma.

Greg

On the Buc-Eye we have 16 Diawa AccuDepth reels. They seem to be a decent all around reel but we only have 2 seasons on them without a single issue to date.

On the La-Cory II we have 6 Okuma magda pro’s and one convector, and one Diawa SG17. This season, Two of the magda pro’s, the convector and the Diawa SG17 all had drag/clutch issues with another magda pro having issues with the line counter. Larry over at Hi-Way bait and tackle fixed them up for me with little issue. That being said, these reels have 6+ years on them.

After using all these different reels, my own opinion is if you can swing it, the Diawa AccuDepth is a pretty nice reel for the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by OffShore24 View Post
    The new cold waters have clutch engagement problems. of course they also had line counter problems. they said they worked those out
    How many Coldwater reels have you actually used and had trouble with? I have one of my Diawa Sealines that is in the sink in my boat but it should be in the porta potty, it was not even used for a half of a fishing seaon and it will not engage the spool. The matching mate was returned to Bass Pro for the same reason after the first fish and traded for a Tekota. I have 2 Accudepth reels that are not much better. I will let anyone see them and experience the problem for themselves. The observations and facts alluded to in this post are true and have been experienced by me.

Just so everyone knows those Shakespeare ugly sticks are also made in china at the same factory that also make the Cabela's Whuppin' Stick and a couple of other manufacturers rods and sold here like they are the top of the line of mass produced fishing rods. I use them and like them but not the 1100 series. Diawa reels are also foreign made as well as almost all of the reels sold in the US market.

Most all of the other fishing forums have highly recommended the Coldwater Series by Okuma. Those would be salmon fishing forums as well as some saltwater sites. These endorsements came after they recalled and replaced the original drags and counter pickup mechanism.

Back to the Diawa reels that I have had problems with. I am sure they would have repaired them. But I don't feel I should have to send a new reel back for repairs and do without its use while in transit and in the shop being repaired. I do have Diawa spinning reels that to me are the best for the price.

I could have bashed them every time that this issue has been raised but did not. Just because you or I don't like a product does not mean it is as bad as you or I claim overall, that is why I have remain mostly quiet on this subject until now. I will never ever purchase another Diawa lc reel based upon the 4 that I have owned and have experienced problems with. I will restate that if anyone would like to see the 3 that I still have I am willing to let them see for themselves what I have said is true. They can also look at my Tekota reels and my Okuma Cold water reels.

One other thing is entertaining that anyone with a functioning brain would know that a $35.00 LC reel is an entry level reel and especially so when that same manufacturer has reels in their lineup that retail for over 3 times that amount. I feel OffShore24 has more issues with the Okuma Line of reels than the word Pro in their entry level reels name.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-18-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

4. Default

thanks for all the info guys, ended up finding a daiwa accudepth plus in left hand retrieve, i am right handed but prefer left hand retrieve, thanks for all your help and input

[QUOTE= I feel OffShore24 has more issues with the Okuma Line of reels than the word Pro in their entry level reels name.[/QUOTE]

Your absolutely Right I do. I understand busines and economics. Enough to understand what Okuma is doing is wrong and is damaging to thier customer base. They put the word "PRO" on an entry line product. That is not fair to the consumer. It is sales trick. it is lieing and misleading!!! Consumers are motivated to buy based on price. The "pro" model has the same raw materials and manufacturing process as other companies entry level products for less than $30.00 Today you can buy magda"pro"s for 35 bucks or so. However they use to cost more. Most of the Magda "pro"s nowadays sold for that price are actually the "cheaper" D model not the improved DX. They are also sold buy 2nd line dealers. Not the good dealers. Check out ebay, etc. Good luck with the customer support when you buy that way. Those companies do not stand behind what they sell. If you buy from the good local guys around here you will get the DX and they stand behind what they sell.

My experience with Okuma is that they will offer to fix broken items and even pay the shipping (yeppy). However for sure it will break. Look at their track record. The coldwater is the arguably the coolest looking reel on the market.... however they were junk when they came out nearly every one of them had line counter issues. Now many of them are having clutch issues (that is what is wrong w/ mine) They still look cool though huh??? They were made to catch fisherman NOT fish. The time and effort went into good looks not quality materials and manufacturing. Even Okuma told me on the phone they have had alot of problems infact Mike extension144 stated "yep i know exactly what is wrong with it. We are working through those issues. I can mail you the parts to fix it yourself or you can ship it back and we will take care of it and get back to you". Now that sounds to me like he has had this problem many many times. The issue is that reel has a "known" chronic problem(s). However it is still on the shelf to be sold to the consumer only to break . If it were my Reputation I would fix those reels before the customers got em. Same thing with the line counters. They knew the problem existed yet every reel got sold and they fixed it after it failed the consumer. Eer here of a recall??? Even when they knew every reel had a problem they still left on the shelf to sell knowing they were defective.

I cannot believe that the management of Okuma actually states "proud makers of fine quality products"

Now I wiil give them the benefit of the doubt and say That I am sure something that they make is fine quality. Well at least I hope so unfornately I will NEVER know because they LOST me as a CUSTOMER FOREVER!!! From my poor experience I learned the following:

1.) They are a Chinese owned company. Whenever possible I do not support foreign companies because it does my country and my fellow Americans no good.

2.) They are misleading with calling their entry line product the "pro" model.

3.) They are misleading in advertising. Since when did chinese products become "fine quality"??

4.) They knownely sell defective products that they know were poorly designed with flaws in them that will fail. Any and Every man made item will eventually fail. But knowing a problem exist and not doing anything about it shows that they are not out for the customer. They are out for themselves and thier own greed.

When a good item fails service AFTER the sale matters. Howver a GOOD company does not mislead its customers and they do not sell items that they know have a problem!!!

of the 4 okuma coldwaters I purchased one of them after 6 months the reel would not go into free spool, I took it back to fin feather and fur and they gave me a new one without a hassel and a spool of mono free to replace the line, I sure hope they hold up. Are there any American made line counter reels or they all made in china.

Default Okuma convector

Yea, I guess that's what I was trying to say about my Convectors, they do not go into free spool even if I back the drag completely off. It's a pain when you are trying to set the clicker to go off when you have a pull back and you can't just back the drag off. The spool stays locked up tight until you crank the handle to get it to release. All 6 of mine have been that way since day 1, that's why I figured it was a design flaw. Anyway, I guess I'm beating a dead horse.

Good luck with your new reels!

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    So Offshore,

What would you buy if getting 6 or 8 new combos?
    if I were getting new rigs right now I would get the accudepth plus adp17lcb reels. I have the older accudepth plus adp17lc reels and the sealine sg17lca reels and have used them both for many yrs and have had no problems with either. as for rods I would go to fishusa.com and buy the daiwa wilderness trolling rods for 15.95 each. I just bought 2 of those rods and they are a good glass rod which is all you need for trolling.

the okuma magda pros are really you get what you pay for. I personally think they are junk. but if its all you can afford then they are better than nothing. the okuma convector is a much better reel. I have some of the convectors now but I use my daiwa reels.

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    of the 4 okuma coldwaters I purchased one of them after 6 months the reel would not go into free spool, I took it back to fin feather and fur and they gave me a new one without a hassel and a spool of mono free to replace the line, I sure hope they hold up. Are there any American made line counter reels or they all made in china.
    Good question!

I dug out the boxes that my reels came in but could not find the boxes for the Daiwa Sealines. This is what I found on the boxes as to where they were manufactured.

Okuma Cold Water model #CW-153D Made in China!

Daiwa AccudepthPlus model #17LC Made in Korea distributed by Daiwa Seiko, Inc.

Shimano Tekota model #TEK-300LC Made in Malaysia

It is my understanding that the only Penn Reels made in the Philadelphia facility in the USA are the non line counter International series, with all of the rest made outside the USA. Like I stated in a prior post most if not all of the line counters available in the US market are made in foreign countries. The fact remains that almost all reels of any manufacturer and for any type fishing are made outside the USA. I believe that the Ardent line of reels is one of the few(2 or 3) that are still made in the USA and that no line counter reels are made here at all.

The AccudepthPlus models that I own will not always go into free spool after disengaging the lever without manually reversing the spool with your thumb or fingers, that will allow the free spool to then operate as intended. That is the same problem with the Magda Pro reels that I have kept for emergency use, and why I originally bought the 2 models of Daiwa Reels to replace them.

The 2 Daiwa Sealine Reels are also the size 17 reels and they will not engage the spool when the lever is in the locked position. I only have one of the Sealines left as I return the other one a few days after purchasing it at BPS in Rossford, Ohio.

I never complain much about the Daiwa Reels simply because I would not engage them for warranty work on a brand new reel. I accept that responsibility for not seeking warranty work so do not very often say anything about their product. I instead simply moved on to a different manufacturer. I cannot justify ranting about them without knowing how their customer service would have dealt with the problem.

The reason I did not seek warranty work is the fact that the reel that originally broke was on the boat for the first time and on its first fish and I had plunked down my cash for something that was supposed to be one of the best reels for the money to go fishing and not to set around waiting for it to be sent back for repair. Even a short weeks wait for its return would be 6 days 7 hours and 59 minutes to long with the short fishing season here on Lake Erie.

Obviously they make a quality product with all the good reviews that are put forth on this site and others. I am one of those guys who seems to always get that one cherry pit that finds its way into one piece of pie out of several pies. If there is one available I find it.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Diawa is made all over china, korea, malaysia etc. I have not researched to see where others are made. That is my next step which i will do prior to buying new reels. However because of Okuma's junk, lieing tactics, and poor service I researched them. That is when I found out that they are a FOREIGNED OWNED COMPANY. Where an item is made is very important to me. However buying from a foreign company versus a good ole USA company matters as well!!! (possibly even more). So if I am faced w/ buying a foreign made products because that is all that is available then it will surely be from the USA owned company Not the Chinese or any other for that matter.

Just me doing my part and staying LOYAL to my fellow Americans. I am business owner myself. I know what it cost to lose a customer!!!