Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I purchased 4 okuma cold water series reels last year, I got them on sale for $89 each, very nice reels and the drag is great, it doesn't back off when set for low drag. the 30 size great gear ratio as well

Quote Originally Posted by 870 ExpressMag View Post
    cant seem to find cal1100 on their site...can you send me link?
    Call the store they are not on the website they have a ton of them . They also have inline boards on sale , 77 set churches 22s or walleye with tattle flags . It's in their sale catalog out right now .

Does the okuma coldwater series, Convector, magna all have those drag setting issues?

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    Does the okuma coldwater series, Convector, magna all have those drag setting issues?
    I know the Magda does on all 4 that I have for emergency use if something would happen to my Tekotas or Coldwater Reels but they are older and there has been improvements made to them since I purchased them over 10 years ago. The Convector was fine on all 6 that I had and sold, I have been using 2 Coldwater reels and have had no issues with them either. The drags on both the Coldwater and the Convector Reels works as expected, I think the Coldwater drag is a little more smooth than my Convectors were.

I will say this about the Coldwater reels they are more user friendly than my Tekotas for the simple reason that they have the power handle on them which the Tekotas do not. It is my intentions to purchase the power handles for the Tekotas from Tuna Tom in the near future.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

You CANNOT compare the Magda PRO to the Accudepth

the Okuma magda pro is an entry level reel. Compare it to the shakespeare tidewater.

the Diawa accudepth is a mid grade reel compare it to the okuma convector.

Consider this... Okuma is a chinese company who mkaes thier products in China. They have taken an entry level product and put the word "PRO" on it and charge twice as much as their compitiors comparable brands with the same raw materials. Okuma has taken all of the problem matic reels and sold them to 2nd line vendors. This is why you can find them online for cheap. You will get what you pay for.

I bought a new coldwater (of course after they fixed the line counter issues) The darn thing broke on 2nd trip less than 6 fish and never caught a fish over 5lbs. It is common problem w/ the clutch failing on the new coldwater. All of the R&D went into making it look cool. it is designed to catch fisherman not fish!!! Look on the professional level or salt water Okuma is a "cheap disposal POS"

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    The new cold waters have clutch engagement problems. of course they also had line counter problems. they said they worked those out

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    For what it's worth, I used a couple of Accu Depth LC 27's and Shakespeare Arsenals and wanted all the same reels so I decided to upgrade. I bought the Okuma Convectors, a little higher dollar than the Magda and if I had it to do all over again I would go back to the Accu Depth LC27's.

The drag on the Okuma Convectors is a pain to set. Even if I back them off completely the spool does not release until I turn the handle a little and when it does release I have to reset the drag to the desired tension. Never had any other reels that did this but all 6 of my Convectors do. My fishing buddy agrees with me too and he uses them as much as I do. Maybe there is a trick to them that I don't know about because they came highly recommended, but that has been my experience after 2 years of use.
    Do what I did... Send em back to okuma they will claim to "fix it" they will pay shiipping etc when you get them back they will do the same thing. Then sell em and buy another brand. Okuma claims to be "proud makers of Fine quality equipment" What do not tell you is that they are made in China and they put the word "PRO" on their entry line reels???? since when is the word PRO entry line

Long term you will better off without the magda "pro". Call Okuma they will tell you that your magda "pro" is actually an entry line reel. When i found this out i decided to NEVER buy another okuma product. They also claim to be "proud makers of fine quality epuipment" The company is chinese owned and makes their equipment in China and then sells for it twice it's value. The magda pro has the same raw materials and ocnstruciton as the shakespeare tidewater for half the price. Also Okuma just sold all of the problem matic magda pro d reels to 2nd line vendors who sell rthem for cheap online. Of course if oyu bought the DX you paid alot more and got the same chinese crap

So Offshore,

What would you buy if getting 6 or 8 new combos?

Dpends on your budget....

The best (or one of the best) is shimano Tekota's comes w/ a hefty price tag. But worth it when it comes to quality.

Diawa accu depth is a great middle of the road reel. An affordable price and most bang for your buck.

Okuma Convector is good bang for the buck but not as durable as the equally priced diawa's. convector has drag issues and some clutch issues.

On the rods you cannot go wrong w/ the new ugly stik GX2. it has a great soft easy to read tip. Strong backbone. very versatile. Will work w/ boards or dipsys. A very durable rod overall. The regular (old) uglystik1100's are good but are longer available unless bought used or at closeout etc.

personally I prefer the 2 piece for easy storage. i have 12 rods and swap out reels w/ mono for boards or braid for dipsy's