Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but you can't go wrong with an Ambassadeur. I've been using two of them for 15 years for catfishing and haven't had a single problem with them yet. I know this probably doubles the price of each compared to what you were looking for, but they're the smoothest reels I've ever used, and even have been used in saltwater without showing any wear. We bought a few of the line counter reels last year and they were accurate with a full spool, however I can't attest to how well they'll hold up over time as they were only used for a handful of trips. I believe they're still made in Sweden, so not made here, but it's better than Chinese junk.

I can't provide any input on the other reels mentioned but the best advice I can give is to go into Cabela's or Bass Pro and pick them up and see what they feel like to you. Then read some customer reviews online about the reels you liked and make a decision based on that.

Good luck with the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    made products does not mean better quality products these days at all . Look at GM right now with all the recalls . Some that were known to have had problems before even leaving the factory . A lot more money there then a 35.00 reel . Last time I looked , Honda, Toyota, and other foriegn made cars had a lot better rating then our US made cars.

Using the word "Pro" is used a lot these days even in the fishing industary . You now have the money to buy a Ranger or Lund and you fish tournaments , and all of the sudden you are a "Pro" . Yeah so you think !!!

Anyone that does not do their homework and buys something simply because it has Pro in the title deserves what they get .

Our favorite cranks {ReefRunners} are now made in China . How many does everyone own ? 99% of the spinner blades we all love are pressed and made overseas as well as the hooks and all the other goodies we use .

People get hooked on brands and become snobs against any other brand because they believe theirs is the best . Happens with fishing stuff , guns, and cars and trucks such as the Ford vs Chevy debate .

Back to the reel question , I have 18 Okumas Magda Pros that are 8 years old and have never had a problem . On the other hand , I have buddies that have the Diawa Accudepths and have had many problems since day one .

Are there better reels out there then Okuma ? Im sure there is . Buy and use what works for you with the funds you have to spend and take care of them . Every winter my Okumas get taken apart and cleaned and lubed for the next season and preform just fine for me .

Dale
    This is not just a Chevy vs Ford debate!!! This is more about a company that is misleading & dishonest. if you want to support them go right ahead. everyone has opinions and freedom to express them. For me personally I refuse to support a foreign company over a American company. Every company eventually has problems with something. We do not see the truew integrity of a company until we see how those problems are rectified. Sure there are some that can say Okuma fixed their reels and even paid the shipping etc. That does not excuse the fact that they our a foreign company and there tactics are unethical.

hopefully next time you buy new reels you will consider that there is a American company that makes a product that is similair too or better than the Foreign company.

BTW the word "pro" like any other word has a legal definition!!! Put shame on a company who misrepresents their product by mis using the word and it's legal definition. Don't shame a consumer who is mislead by an unethical company that mis uses the word. If we accepted that kinda crap words will no longer need legal deifinitions because they would be useless.

the guy who buys an expensive boat and calls himself a pro is simply making up for the lack of something else somewhere else. The same as Okuma. The product is not a quality well built item. Therefore they MUST use the "PRO" to sell the item. Classic example of making up for the lack of the item.

Even Okuma said themselves "our magda "pro" is an entry line product and is not made for the serious or "professional" angler. it will fail if it used in that way".

Million dollar question.... How many "professional anglers" Use the magda "PRO"?

Default Good points

However , would you call what GM did unethical by knowing of the problems on several of the recalls being they knew in advance of the problem(like you say Okuma did) that caused deaths in some cases and is a US company ?

To be honest , the best linecounters in my opinion were the old Marado Compass C line . Those were the only reels with a back reel feature like a spinning reel . Very cheap and they fished well on my old boat for many many years .

I to believe in buying US made goods but it gets to the point that the cost outweighs the good of it . If there was a purely US made linecounter and the cost was more then double the cost of other made reels , how many would sit here and complain about it compered to buying them because they are US made ?

Once again this is very much a Chevy vs Ford debate in many ways . You say Okuma are junk but have treated me very well . On the other hand , Diawa has treated you well so you prefer them .

As far as the advertisement by Okuma as Pro in the name of the real , it is just that . Many companies have slick eye catching advertisements to get the consumer to look . After looking it is up to you to decide to buy or not , Once again like a Chevy vs Ford commercial . Ford is this, Chevy is that . A well educated buyer knows just that .

I for one am not a Pro fisherman by any means but do fish 3-4 days a week weather allowing . I would have no problem at all fishing a tournament or tournaments using the Okuma Pro reels that I have been ..

As for your Million Dollar question ... Well there again , Pros get stuff at cost for the price of putting a 3.00 sticker on their boat and or truck therefor making them feel like a PRO all for the saving of a few bucks .Just because a Pro doesnt use them does not mean they are not good for someone else . Classic example are boat lines . Most Pros are fishing Ranger or Lunds so that must make all the other boat makers junk in your eyes ?? Just a preferance is all .

Dale
    Last edited by fishhead315; 06-24-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    However , would you call what GM did unethical by knowing of the problems on several of the recalls being they knew in advance of the problem(like you say Okuma did) that caused deaths in some cases and is a US company ?

Dale
    I'm not defending GM for the error they made. It probably cost people their lives and that's unforgivable. However, that's the second time you've failed to acknowledge the fact that Toyota did the same thing and then attempted to cover it up rather than recall it. Just thought it should be mentioned.

5. Default

thanks for all the replies guys, kinda off topic now, and i made my reel purchase and i am happy with it so far, thanks again for the replies!