Fishing 6/16/14 with Kevin, Eric, and Skip Fishing 6/16/14 with Kevin, Eric, and Skip Fishing 6/16/14 with Kevin, Eric, and Skip Fishing 6/16/14 with Kevin, Eric, and Skip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing 6/16/14 with Kevin, Eric, and Skip

Yesterday I fun fished with a friend and we just goofed off for a few hours...I napped on the bow, and when we got off the water we grilled out, so no report from yesterday...(well, I guess this sort of was...lol) Sorry!

Today was a fun day on the water with a threesome from out of town. Kevin Milliron set this three day charter up, to spend some time with his friends, Eric and Skip, who are brothers.

We got a late start, since they got into town late last night and wanted to sleep in a little bit. I picked them up at their condo at 8:45 am this morning and we stopped for their fishing licenses at Hi Way Bait.

Launched out of Mazruik's at 9:15 and headed for the NE side of Kelly Island Shoal. I stopped SE of the old international C can and headed for it on a NW troll.
    We ran the usual spinner program that I have been running, and experimented with other depths with a few of the spinners.
    But, wouldn't you know it? 41 back on a 1 oz was the fish catcher again today.
    We did have one bottom bouncer out to keep them honest, and it caught one nice walleye and a few bite offs, along with a couple white perch.

I put a RR 800 out towards the end, when the wind died, and a gigantic sheephead sunk the board on a Grape Ape.

Then, for some reason for which I can' t explain, we got some tangles that put 3 boards and the bottom bouncer out of commission until I could cut everything off and put new harnesses on. What a mess. I don't think I've seen tangles I couldn't get out before, but these were doozies and I didn't even want to try! 15 minutes later we had all four rods in the water again...no harm, no foul.

We ended the day 4 short of their three man limit, but they were happy and were looking forward to a fresh walleye dinner tonight. Yumm!

The water temp out that way was 68.5 degrees, which is a little cooler than the west side of the islands. From what I heard on the radio, some did very well getting their limits on the west side, while others struggled badly.

It was a scorcher out there today after the wind disappeared, it was hot, hot, hot, and the black flies were after blood. I had scrubbed my boat with bleach this morning to ward them off, but a few dropped fish, and fish slime dripping off the net, and our sweaty bodies, made it inevitable that they would find us.

I had bought some spray online that claimed they had the best solution, so I bought it. It smells good, but it doesn't do diddly on these Lake Erie vampires. I then put on some Coppertone Sport 50 (the cream kind) and that stopped them.....for about 1/2 hour. Then, they started eating my flesh again....grrrrr...Ow!!

The only complaint was about the biting flies. We all agreed that after this horribly cold winter we had, none of us were going to complain about being hot. But, I have to admit, getting home and washing the boat again, and then dousing myself with super cold hose water, it was just what the doctor ordered.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is different, depending on where you look. The news forecast is calling for 10-20 out of the SW with gusts to 30mph. www.iwindsurf.com, which is what I pay most attention to, says less than 15 out of the SSW. So, to play it safe, I'm headed to Huron with the crew tomorrow. I got a good report from a friend that said they were catching some big ones over there, so we'll give it a try. That way, if it does get crappy, we can run back in, with a shorter distance to go.

Well, that's all for tonight....time to hit the hay here. 3:30 comes early.
    I'm picking them up at 5:15 and hope to launch by 6:30 at the latest.

Stay tuned....

http://www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com/Blog.html
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default fwiw Juls

sometimes is good stress relief just to go out there and do exactly what you fellas did, experiment, wasn't about the numbers but about the different methodologies you use to come up with them.
    I can't say I'm looking forward to those nasty black flies, I noticed the hatch almost two weeks ago and they hatch to everything they can cling to that floats out there on the lake, much different than house flies .
    I might suggest you get some dawn soap with bleach in it, scrub your boat while you fish and leave a light film on your boat, just enough where you don't slip and they hate that application, I was put on to it by a Florida fisherman that swears by it. We all need tips here to help one another out to make our experiences more enjoyable. Hope it helps and happy fishing!

Oh, BTW, I thought I was the only one that gets those cluster ***** out there fishing...lol

Quote Originally Posted by limitlypps View Post
    sometimes is good stress relief just to go out there and do exactly what you fellas did, experiment, wasn't about the numbers but about the different methodologies you use to come up with them.
    I can't say I'm looking forward to those nasty black flies, I noticed the hatch almost two weeks ago and they hatch to everything they can cling to that floats out there on the lake, much different than house flies .
    I might suggest you get some dawn soap with bleach in it, scrub your boat while you fish and leave a light film on your boat, just enough where you don't slip and they hate that application, I was put on to it by a Florida fisherman that swears by it. We all need tips here to help one another out to make our experiences more enjoyable. Hope it helps and happy fishing!

Oh, BTW, I thought I was the only one that gets those cluster ***** out there fishing...lol
    Do you mix that soap with some water or put it on straight?

4. Default

Just got back from a fishing trip in canada. Maybe try a thermocell to ward off the bugs. Would only work if there is not much of a breeze....

I'm not a "fella", but thanks for thinking of me as "one of the guys"...

I forgot about the Dawn soap trick. I used that last year, but had to keep reapplying it, because they kept sucking blood as soon as it was dry.

The Coppertone Sport 50 worked longer, but like everything else, it needs to be reapplied after some time.

Today was much better...lots of wind and no flies. woot! woot!
    [email protected]

Default Day two of a three day Adventure....:)

What a beautiful day it was today! It was a lot nicer on the water than it was on land, that's for sure!

I picked my crew up this morning at 5:15 for the second day of our three day adventure. We hit Hi Way Bait for more crawlers and ice and then the gas station to top off the truck and boat.

We headed to Vermilion to launch, and I was hoping I hadn't forgotten how to get to that launch, because since they put that new fancy launch in at Huron, we never launched at Vermilion anymore. I had no problem remembering how to get to it. I forgot how easy it is to get there.

I'm glad we used Vermilion's launch, because the ride back at the end of their trip would have taken forever to get back, because the lake was flat when we went out, but it was churning up good 3-5's out where we were.

We started out at the Vermilion Dumping Grounds and picked up a few, but no monsters like I was hoping for...sigh. They were still a little better grade of walleye than we had caught yesterday, so it was cool.

We only caught 12 fish today, but they weighed the same as the 14 we had yesterday. We also caught one big catfish and a gazillion whites.

No flies today!! Yay! lol

One more day with these fun guys, and I think if the weather lets us go we will be west of North Bass tomorrow, or SSW of Rattlesnake. I'm still looking for their big fish of the trip, since we didn't get lucky today.

I have promoted Skip to "First Mate", since he's very helpful and did all fish bleeding today. I hate doing that, but I know it's best to do that, and throw them on ice. What can I say? It makes me kind of sad to do it. I know, I know...I'm a wuss. But, I didn't say I wouldn't do it, I just said, "It makes me sad". So, Skip volunteered to do it for me today. Thanks Skip!! Much appreciated!

Still pulling crawlers, so there's nothing new in that part of the report...same old same old.

Since I hadn't fished over that way in forever, I was happy they caught as many as they did. Also, knowing what the wind was going to do, I wasn't about to go out to the sandbar, or weather buoy, so don't even go there. lol

Well, time to go relax....that 3:30 alarm is going to be going off soon.

Stay tuned....

http://www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com/Blog.html
    [email protected]

Default fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    I'm not a "fella", but thanks for thinking of me as "one of the guys"...

I forgot about the Dawn soap trick. I used that last year, but had to keep reapplying it, because they kept sucking blood as soon as it was dry.

The Coppertone Sport 50 worked longer, but like everything else, it needs to be reapplied after some time.

Today was much better...lots of wind and no flies. woot! woot!

I use "Skin so Soft" flies hate the stuff and it works like magic.

I use "Skin so Soft" flies hate the stuff and it works like magic.
    Thanks I'll try it. I know that horse handlers use it on their horses, so that might be a good one to try in the boat. Having soft skin would be a nice benefit too. lol
    [email protected]

Default lol

it kinda sounds like a feminine application and men don't gravitate to it so easily, but once you try the stuff its adios flies!

Default fyi

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    Do you mix that soap with some water or put it on straight?
    I'll just take the bottle and generously squirt it across the spectrum of the floor, add a bit of water spray, make it nice and sudsey, scrub the floor then wash off but not to the fullest extent as you normally would after the days conclusion of fishing expedition. Leaving a film is the trick to the application, cheap and quick when fish are biting.