Line LB Test for LE Walleye Line LB Test for LE Walleye Line LB Test for LE Walleye Line LB Test for LE Walleye
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Line LB Test for LE Walleye

Line on walleye reel/pole is well over 10 years old. Yea, I know. Not up on contemporary lines.

Please state your lb test, type, and brand you think is overall best for drift fishing for Lake Erie walleye in the summer (Mid May - August). ONE sentence why. Lets keep it simple for all to read quick.

I am also looking for fisherman or others interested in helping me take fishing and underwater video at Lake Erie. Private message me for details. Yes, I have a lot of experience fishing Lake Erie.

West

Trolling or casting? Will make a big difference on the recommendations you get.

For drifting and casting, which is most of my walleye fishing, I have always used Spiderwire 12lb braid. Very sensitive, very easy to feel the bottom and strikes and is very strong.

Tight Lines!
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Trolling #17lb mono
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

For casting, 20lb Power Pro braid. Same diameter as 8lb mono with no line memory or stretch. Very sensitive. A good reel with a smooth drag is key here, due to the lack of line stretch when fighting fish.

For trolling, 30lb Power Pro braid with 20lb Ande mono leaders off of jets or dipseys.

30 lb. Spiderwire braid for me....8 lb diameter used for both casting and trolling (with 17 lb. mono leaders).
    i have one reel that i spooled up in 2000, and still casts like new!......jmo....good luck

Default Line Theory for Lake Erie

Combos are like most other things in life, Experience guided by Intelligence. Here's my view.

Dipsey $12
    Leader (8 - 12 ft.)
    Lure - $5 - $9

Lost fish - Priceless

Therefore - 30# Power Pro
    Throw in In-line board $35 (rigged)

I want it back every time

Default 20 lb - 30 lb test?!

This is for drift fishing, not trolling. Cast and retrieve or drift if enough wind.

20 - 30 lb test? I understand the diameter of today's braided and other lines is much smaller than the same lb test of monofilament, but even then, is using modern lines of more than 10lb test really necessary? What about knot strength, similar to monofilament in reducing line break lbs? I've used 8 lb monofilament (6 lb effective line strength with the knot reduction) ever since I started back in the early 80's and I rarely if ever lost a walleye due to line break. Having the extra strength seems logical if there is no other disadvantage, but maybe get even more feel if the line is 10lb?
    Last edited by West Basin; 06-17-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

I will not enter the debate on lb test line needed! But to answer your question about strength Braid will be far stronger in the same diameter line as Mono will. Example~~ 30lb braid is about the same diameter as 8lb mono so it is a no brainer as to which would be stronger at the same diameter and the braid will be much more sensitive. The down side to braid is not the knot strength but that of the knot slipping thru itself and failing. The most common knot and one of the better knots to attach braid to the terminal hardware on a casting rig would be the Palomar knot.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/palomar-knot/
    Last edited by wakina; 06-17-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Thanks or info

Wakina,

Thanks for the info on line slippage. I guess I'll have to "trial and error" this to really get an answer. Everyone has their preference. I look for low visability, abrasion resistance (zebra mussels are heck on line), casting ability, and sensitivity. Ya can't have it all.

If you are looking for the complete package, consider a fluorocarbon line. They're the lowest vis and are more abrasion resistant than mono, and because of the lower vis you can get a strong lb. test. As far as diameter, it's right on par with mono. Just know that fluorocarbon is much stiffer than mono or braid, which can be problematic on a spinning reel.

I could go into all the differences, but this guy already did that, so feel free to read.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/...rbon_line.html