best snell for harness hooks? best snell for harness hooks? best snell for harness hooks? best snell for harness hooks?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default best snell for harness hooks?

I have recently gotten into tying my own crawler harnesses, i really enjoy it, and the first ones i made pulled in some heavy hard fighting sheedhead and took the abuse well, and of course they caught walleye. the problem i have is the type of snell i used, when storing them if the line gets a little slack the snell wants to come un-done, i dont like this i am afraid i wont catch it and risk losing fish. can someone post the instructions to a good snell method they use? i can find lots of them online, and most are NOT easy to tie. i been using the easy snell method, line through the eye and down along hook shank, take standing line and wrap 8 times then pass back up through the eye and pull tight, problem is any back slack from top hook to bottom hook and the bottom hook snell loosens. I was using trilene 12lb XL, which worked good but would get sorta kinked up after a day of fishing, so i got some trilene 14lb XT.

Post Thanks / Like

The Snell I use is both ends of line through the eye in opposite directions about an inch or two. Then lay one of the 2 inch ends, preferably the one that goes to the next hook or not the end that goes to your pole, down flat against the shank while holding that, wrap the loop made by the line around the shank and the 2 inch tag your holding down. Start at the top and make about 6 wraps heading towards the bottom of hook. Then wet lines and hold every thing thought with both hands and pull the 2 inch tag that would go to your pole till the loop tightens making your Snell. Careful not to let lines twist or it will kink causing a weak spot. Hope this helps... practice make perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

PDnaz, thats the method of snelling i used, and when storing on one of those barrel holders where you wrap the line around it and push the hooks in to secure them, if the line gets a little slack backwards it loosens that snell, thats the problem i am having

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 870 ExpressMag View Post
    PDnaz, thats the method of snelling i used, and when storing on one of those barrel holders where you wrap the line around it and push the hooks in to secure them, if the line gets a little slack backwards it loosens that snell, thats the problem i am having

I use that same method, but really wrap the line as tight as I can around the shank and sinch them down with all I got, and with 20 lb. floro. and haven't had an issue yet.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe i just need to be more careful when storing them, because when i did tie them up like that they stood up well to heavy hard fighting fish, only time i lot part of one was from a cat that had swallowed the whole mess and we only got part of it back.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, I use the easy snell method. I would say it's the type of line you're using, or like Aaron said, you may need to cinch tighter. 14lb is pretty light. I prefer at least 20lb.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

i was always under the impression that a lighter line could be tied tighter than a heavier line, that was not my purpose for using 12 and 14lb, i used what i had

Post Thanks / Like

I use this method and have not had a problem. 20# Ande is what I am using.
    After tying I insert the hook through the hole where the chain goes on my
    finger nail clippers and pull tight. Be sure to wrap at least 8 times. I just tried
    to push the line back through the eye to unwrap and it looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PDnaz View Post
    I use this method and have not had a problem. 20# Ande is what I am using.
    After tying I insert the hook through the hole where the chain goes on my
    finger nail clippers and pull tight. Be sure to wrap at least 8 times. I just tried
    to push the line back through the eye to unwrap and it looks good.
    I always wrap 9 times. on the octopus hooks and 11 or 12 wraps on a treble.