spoons spoons spoons spoons
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spoons

Default spoons

as im just getting back into the trolling game, i'm wondering what spoons are good ones to get. ive heard a lot lately about paint problems on michigan stingers. just wondering what brand, and size, you guys are running out there?

would like to pick up a few, already picked up a few deep little ripper and 800 reef runners, been tying my own crawlers harnesses, wanted to get a few spoons

Jager bomb and purple tuxedo have been good ones for me. Pink or copper backed in the scorpion size

also as a side question, i seen some spoons say UV, what is this and its purpose/advantage?

Default Spoons

With the help of ultra violet rays, the theory is the fish can see the bait better. I see no difference. Perhaps just another trick to get Buckeye dollars to the land up north. As to the finish I spray 3 0r 4 coats of clear varnish on all the new spoons before adding a split ring. I also add a reflective eye. It works for me. Jager Bomb, Flo Nascar, Sir Walleye, Mixed Veggies. In the western basin it's scorpion spoons: 2 1/4 inch. West of Green tomorrow.

Default UV Spray

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    With the help of ultra violet rays, the theory is the fish can see the bait better. I see no difference. Perhaps just another trick to get Buckeye dollars to the land up north. As to the finish I spray 3 0r 4 coats of clear varnish on all the new spoons before adding a split ring. I also add a reflective eye. It works for me. Jager Bomb, Flo Nascar, Sir Walleye, Mixed Veggies. In the western basin it's scorpion spoons: 2 1/4 inch. West of Green tomorrow.
    I have fished both Erie in the western basin and the Dunkirk area in the eastern basin, but mostly fish Lake Ontario, as per your statement about the Uv inhibitors, I don't think the waters are deep enough in the shallows of the western basin. It does work once you get down over 50ft or more I have run spoons of the same over 200ft down 60-90ft and the spoons I sprayed UV Blast, your lure will flash in water where UV light, but not visible light penetrates. Research shows that fish see and are attracted to UV light the spoons I sprayed get twice the action the ones I didn't spray. I have used UV Blast in the Dunkirk ares with good results as we are 50/60ft down there also. I think it helps but that's imo.

I agree with Pap. I was about to say its a gimmick in my previous post but it's not, just feel it doesn't apply to western basis is a better way to say it.

im seeing a lot of suggestions for michigan stingers spoons, however i been reading a lot about paint problems, is this a real problem, or blown out of proportion? not calling anyone out just trying to get a feel for the general opinion

Question

MI STINGER paint does wear off scratch the works does it happen in a day of fishing no but they do scratch in a day of fishing. I'm not knocking their products they have good color schemes but in my opinion when an individual pays 4-5 bucks for a lure it should be of better quality. Personal preference, Domka outdoors or Gale Force are the way to go, more bang for your buck, better quality all powder paint, and 1.00 to1.50 less. All great colors schemes as well, also come in antifreeze, pink, purple, blue, and green anodized backing. Popular colors watermelon, screaming sea gull, cat dog, antifreeze, attention deficit, and Dr. Buggs. If you go with MI Stinger favorite colors are poo bear, jager, helmet, and frankenberry!! Hope this helps.
    David M Miller
    Dreamcatcher Fishing Bait & Tackle
    912-433-6000
    [email protected]

thanks for the info guys, my first inline board just showed up in UPS, a offshore with tattle flag and some trutrip40's

A buddy of mine uses Janns Netcraft spoons and does well with them. I have not tried them but you can get 5 in one color scheme for something like 7 and a half dollars. Then you just need split rings and hooks and you're in business. They have a nice color selection as well.

Greg