What trolling setup do you use? What trolling setup do you use? What trolling setup do you use? What trolling setup do you use?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As for rods the ugly stik 7' 2 piece medium is a great verstile rod. it stores easy and is durable. Fairly inexpensive. They will work well w/ boards and dipsy's.

i like Okuma magda pro 20 reels durable, expensive and work great!!

For inlines ethier offshore or chruch. eitheir way get tattle flags if you run worms. You can pull weights, jets, or cranks with them

Next would be dipsys. Gotta have them most run #1 w/ ring

Also an easy set up to add to those is large bottom bouncers on the cormers just flatlined. keep em deep and close and they will not interfere.

Default 40 back

When everybody refers to 40 and 45 back are they referring to allowing 40 ft of line out before connecting planer board to the line? If so how much line should be let out after the board is connected? Or iS the amount u let out after just preference to keep the boards spread evenly?

You are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by jigginfool View Post
    When everybody refers to 40 and 45 back are they referring to allowing 40 ft of line out before connecting planer board to the line? If so how much line should be let out after the board is connected? Or iS the amount u let out after just preference to keep the boards spread evenly?
    Remember the planer boards do 2 main things.

1. It allows you to target those fish that have moved away from the approaching boat as well as those fish that are high in the water column.

2. They enhance your ability to use of the boat as a weapon, the boat and its noise moves fish out of its path and out toward the planer boards which are spread out on each side of the boat.

With that being said, you should keep the spread far enough apart that if you get a rowdy fish it does not tangle with the other lines unless that fish is so rowdy it cannot be controlled right away. Silver Bullets come to mind in that situation.

Here is how I base my separation on the boards. Keep the separation between boards at least the distance of the lead for the board closest to the next furthest board. EXAMPLE: The Farthest board out from the boat would be back 20 from the board and out an additional 100ft, so the total on the line counter would read 120. The second or middle line would be set back 25ft from the board and out an additional 75ft making the total on the counter 100ft.
    That way if the middle board is hit and the fish would run to the outside on the surface toward the furthest board out it would get no closer than the board on the outside which is 100ft away. Because, the total length of the line from rod to lure on the middle rod is 100ft. Now using that formula you can set the other boards out in the same fashion.
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Thank you

thanks for all the great info. I'm starting to have a better understanding now and the guys on this forum have greatly increased my catch throughout the time I've been on this forum.awesome to see a group of guys willing to share a few tips and tricks. Keep it up guys

Lots of great info, one thing you will notice out on Erie, inline boards can/will very how they run on each side of the boat as your lures pass thru/with the many currents out there. So one side may look odd the way the boards are running vs the other side. Also set your drag just tight enough to where no more line is going out with the clicker on. The clicker will tell you when something is happening on the end of the line even when a flag might not tell you. And you don't have to be watching the rods/boards without being able to look where your going. That clicker can be your best friend.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default trolling made simple

Here is what I do. I use 3 oz inline weights, 5 ft. of leader line and tie the harness on. My fish have been high most of this season. With that in mind, I tie the board on after letting out 25 ft of line. I troll around 1.5 to 1.9 mph. Good fishing.

8. Default

*deleted due to thread starters request*
    Last edited by 870 ExpressMag; 06-17-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Default High jack

This has nothing to do with my post. Start another post if u haven questions.don't drag mine out