questions on worm harnesses questions on worm harnesses questions on worm harnesses questions on worm harnesses
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default questions on worm harnesses

I have a few questions on worm harnesses. I have been trolling spoons with 40tt jets and did not have any luck Saturday --why I don't know--I was trolling 35,40,45,50 back at 2.0mph--worked great the week before but no dice this last week. Anyway how fast would I troll with a harness? what size blade is best? what kind of harness --how long? any help on catching these walleye will be greatly appreciated Thank You!!

Everyone has there own method, but this is how I do it. I always start out around 1.0- 1.3 when I first start out pulling harnesses. I usually just use inline weights. I run all them all out different depths and Ill start running a straight line and if nothing fires ill make some s turns, and depending on what boards fire, I will adjust my speed, outside on turn fires, ill speed up my program, inside fires, ill decrease my speed. I prefer the #6 hatches, and 5/6 deep cup colorados. When the mayfly hatch is on, I will run smaller gold blades. If I want to troll less than 1mph ill switch to Ghost blades. But if I only had to choose one blade it would be Tommy Harris #6 hatchet......... Good luck
    Last edited by Firetiger; 06-09-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mam1208 View Post
    I have a few questions on worm harnesses. I have been trolling spoons with 40tt jets and did not have any luck Saturday --why I don't know--I was trolling 35,40,45,50 back at 2.0mph--worked great the week before but no dice this last week. Anyway how fast would I troll with a harness? what size blade is best? what kind of harness --how long? any help on catching these walleye will be greatly appreciated Thank You!!
    I don't know where you were fishing at (general Area) but with a tt-40 at 35 back and 2 mph you would be between 17 and 19 foot deep with line the diameter of 8lb mono, 30lb braid. You very well may have been fishing below the active fish. The more line back the deeper you would be.

In the island area leads of 20ft to 30ft were the norm this past weekend. The depths achieved with a lead of 20ft would be about 11ft deep at 2.0 mph and a lead of 25ft would put your lure about 14 to 16ft deep and 30ft lead would be about 16 to 17 ft deep.

Common harness length is are about 60 inches, with #5 or #6 Colorado Blades, trolled about 1.3 to 2.0 GPS speed. Although I prefer the hatchet blades to all other designs in size 6.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-09-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks for your help--I was fishing around west sister in 25 to 28 fow and did change up the program a little --lowrance was showing marks at about 20-22 so needless to say I was very frustrated --someone asked me if my spoons had hooks on them --lol

When we were out last weekend Double Willow Leaf blades were our best producer ran behind #2 Tadpoles. We targeted those fish around 15-20' with that set-up. And ran 1oz inlines for the higher fish. My wife ran her side both back 55 and kicked my butt.
    Fish as much as you can...we're not here forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetiger View Post
    Everyone has there own method, but this is how I do it. I always start out around 1.0- 1.3 when I first start out pulling harnesses. I usually just use inline weights. I run all them all out different depths and Ill start running a straight line and if nothing fires ill make some s turns, and depending on what boards fire, I will adjust my speed, outside on turn fires, ill speed up my program, inside fires, ill decrease my speed. I prefer the #6 hatches, and 5/6 deep cup colorados. When the mayfly hatch is on, I will run smaller gold blades. If I want to troll less than 1mph ill switch to Ghost blades. But if I only had to choose one blade it would be Tommy Harris #6 hatchet......... Good luck
    This is a good method...

Also keep in mind when you make a turn w/ lead weights the outside speeds up and rises the inside slows down and sinks. W/ jets the the outside speeds and can actually drop a bit and the inside slows and rises.

So not only is the speed changing so is the depth.

Dont be afraid to put on spoons and go fast

Default Reaction bite

We are finding something new this year, we are trolling way faster than one might think for the suspended eyes and its working well, we call it the reaction bite. Maybe something to think about when all else fails. Tight lines to all PAP.

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    We are finding something new this year, we are trolling way faster than one might think for the suspended eyes and its working well, we call it the reaction bite. Maybe something to think about when all else fails. Tight lines to all PAP.
    How fast are you talkin' Pap???

Default Reaction bite

Believe it or not 2.5-3 mph!!

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Believe it or not 2.5-3 mph!!
    With a crawler harness, or spoons at those speeds?
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters