After you catch? After you catch? After you catch? After you catch?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default After you catch?

Just wondering how many guys here cut their walleye after their catch. Seen a guy at the cleaners that did this and those things were white. Just wondering if it was worth the mess? What's your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by eriecaster View Post
    Just wondering how many guys here cut their walleye after their catch. Seen a guy at the cleaners that did this and those things were white. Just wondering if it was worth the mess? What's your thoughts?
    Absolutely cut the fish! Not only does it make for a nice white fillet but when you clean them there is very little mess on the fillet table and the cooler is much easier to clean too because you don't have all that blood getting kicked around.

I just carry a couple of 5 gallon buckets put a little water in one, cut the fish, drop it in the water and put the second bucket inside the first one containing the fish so it can't splash around, wait 5 minutes , remove the fish and put it on ice.

You'll be glad you started doing this! Make sure when you cut you get the main artery so it bleeds out, you'll know when you hit it!

I bleed all our fish. I hook them on a stringer tied to the mid ship cleat, cut them with a cheap pair of kitchen shears and let them dangle for 5 minutes or so. Then them come back in and go on ice.
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215

Default Bleeding fish

What part of fish do you cut.

Underneath just below where the gills come together where it makes a V.
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215

i have been cutting them for years. running short on time i had the guy that cleans fish at Maumee Tackle this year clean a mess for me. he commented on how nice the fish were and thanked me for bleeding them. he then told me that just popping one gill would do the same. i have yet to try that but if i ever make it back up there that is the way i am going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    i have been cutting them for years. running short on time i had the guy that cleans fish at Maumee Tackle this year clean a mess for me. he commented on how nice the fish were and thanked me for bleeding them. he then told me that just popping one gill would do the same. i have yet to try that but if i ever make it back up there that is the way i am going to try it.
    That is exactly what I do, slice a gill or two put them head first into a 5 gal. bucket 1/2 full of cool water. Makes a big difference when cleaning. Just make sure you have the head in the water or you could get an eye full of blood. They WILL squirt!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Easier than cutting them, just use a pair of pliers and yank a gill, they bleed out in no time. Although it can squirt a bit, saturday the boat looked like a murder scene from one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    I bleed all our fish. I hook them on a stringer tied to the mid ship cleat, cut them with a cheap pair of kitchen shears and let them dangle for 5 minutes or so. Then them come back in and go on ice.
    Works for me too. I tied one (or two) metal stringer clip (from a chain stringer) on a piece of nylon parachute cord tied to a side cleat. No noise, no scratching boat. Clip fish on the stringer inside the boat, hold it over the side, cut the V with scissors, drop it in water. Ready for cooler in a minute or two. No mess or blood in boat. No extra bucket in way. And best, I like the safety of not handling a sharp knife in a bouncing boat..... I have done the gills bit but seems to me the scissors to the throat bleeds more.

Now that the water is getting warmer, and the fish go belly up pretty quick with a full live well, I will start cutting and throwing them on ice for my customers.

My live well pumps water in and then I can switch it to pump water out. So, after they bleed, I pump the bloody water out and pump fresh in again.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters