After you catch? After you catch? After you catch? After you catch?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

2 inches of water in 5 gallon bucket.. Dollar store pruning shears... Been doing it for years. As far as the taste.. Wife didn't like walleye until we met and she tried mine! It's like a while different fish. (better)
    Anymore then 2 inches of water is useless. my boat never gets more then a couple of drops of bloody water here and there.

Default one reason why I personally don't bleed

while I clean the fish, I discard the backbone and the mud vein meat , when this is done it deters your meat from tainting and going fishy after you freeze it. All the meat is white when its either cyrovac or frozen in water. No need to bleed.
    Some folks want that perfect looking fillet and leave that bone in that makes kids dislike fish at times. I like to cut up my fish into 3x3 in squares and do my batter/dip mix/panko thingy which have people raving about my fish even after its been in the freezer for a year. It goes much further when you have quite a number of guests over that have the knack for over consuming.
    Salmon has a much larger mud vein and I do bleed them because the meat is very oily and porous and its advantageous to get that blood out as quickly as possible after the catch.Walleye lacks the omega's and the meat is far more dense and I don't feel the need to bleed. Been doing this all for years and not one has ever turned down a fish fry/bake on my premises. So I guess its whatever works for you.

One other thing to consider, all the carcinogens of a fish/if any are store in the belly fat and just behind the head, so make sure you discard that meat as well.

Default Too much?

I know their is some charters in fl that do this
    www.anglers-secrets.com/how-to-keep-fish-fresh

Default Absolutely bleed

Since I frequently use long nosed pliers to remove the hooks from the fish, its easy to just reach in from behind the gill plate and rip a gill or two....the fish will bleed profusely....and there's no knife involved to stick something/someone you don't want to. Just started bleeding walleye last year and IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE in the quality of the fillets. I do it on every species of fish now.

I think it would be effective for the big boat owner if they don't want buckets in the boat to put in a couple tuna tubes off the back of the boat like that are used in the ocean for keeping bonita alive for marlin fishing. small chain hanging off the side of the top of the tube with a set of pruning shears attached. can bleed 3 or 4 at a time.

Just a thought.

Last edited by BossHogg; 06-12-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Default First cut walleye

Just got off the water and cut all my walleye on the lake using the bucket method very impressed with the fillets very white and no mess thanks for all the input. I will continue this practice in the future.

waterdog Guest

Default Chicken Lures ~

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    .......Now with that said lets take the example to the extreme, would you rather eat a chicken that had been sufficated to death and left to lay for an hour or two on ice or one that had been cleanly killed by chopping of its head and allowed to bleed out and then thrown on ice for an hour or two. I realize that neither one of the two extreme examples is very appetizing but one is definitely better than the other.
    So what kinda lure did you use for that chicken?
    I am thinking a worm or some corn....

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    So what kinda lure did you use for that chicken?
    I am thinking a worm or some corn....
    I like the humor it fits the post!

But the example that was made related to the fact that suffocation whether it is a fish or a chicken or any type of creature, and suffocation would be the cause of death for any fish just tossed into the cooler on ice and left to die full of blood. That fishes blood not only carries the needed materials to sustain its life it also transports the waste that is generated from that process of sustaining life just like all living creatures. I for one do not want that waste left in any animal that I intend to consume be it a fish or chicken. But you already knew that didn't you.

This post is for those who failed to see the connection between the 2 examples and not intended to agitate you or anyone else for that matter.

Like I said I am still laughing at your response it was a good come back.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Gill bleeding

Hey guys, I tried the gill pulling method today and it works great. Thanks for the tip!

waterdog Guest

Default I will be doing the bleeding now~

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I like the humor it fits the post!

But the example that was made related to the fact that suffocation whether it is a fish or a chicken or any type of creature, and suffocation would be the cause of death for any fish just tossed into the cooler on ice and left to die full of blood. That fishes blood not only carries the needed materials to sustain its life it also transports the waste that is generated from that process of sustaining life just like all living creatures. I for one do not want that waste left in any animal that I intend to consume be it a fish or chicken. But you already knew that didn't you.

This post is for those who failed to see the connection between the 2 examples and not intended to agitate you or anyone else for that matter.

Like I said I am still laughing at your response it was a good come back.
    When I clean them at home it will help with the blood on the cleaning table as well.