Birthday Fishing Report 6/5/14 Birthday Fishing Report 6/5/14 Birthday Fishing Report 6/5/14 Birthday Fishing Report 6/5/14
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Birthday Fishing Report 6/5/14

Today did not go as planned, but it turned out to be a fantastic day in the end.

I picked up Buz Trusso at 5:30 this morning and we were to meet up with Kelly and Avery at Mazurik's at 6am.

When we got there the north winds were blowing the water into the break wall enough to make the water splash higher than it. The waves were definitely 2-4's but, probably more like 3-5's. The wind forecast was showing that the winds were going to pick up for the next few hours and then start to diminish beginning at 10am, so I asked if they could meet me back there at 11am to go out.

Kelly and Avery were in, but Buz had to catch a flight back to San Diego, so he wouldn't be joining the three of us.

After getting back to the launch, Kelly and Avery were ready to go. We headed out and the waves had calmed down considerably. It was an easy going ride out to Lucy's Point, where we set up to do our first pass in a SE direction.

After showing them how to hook the crawlers the way I like them hooked, showing them how the line counters work, and how to attach the Off Shore boards, the first line was in the water. We didn't have the second board on the line before the first board was going back with a fish on it.

Kelly was first up, and after talking her through the process of moving back between the seats and putting the rod tip over my shoulder, so I could remove the board, and then where to stand when reeling in the fish, so I could net it, she landed a nice eater sized walleye.

We didn't get all the lines in the water at the same time before we had 4 fish in the live well! The trip was starting out great...and, the winds were continually getting lighter. The water conditions were perfect and the sun was shining. It was a beautiful day compared to what the morning started out like.

To make a long story shorter, because I'm whooped and need to go to bed....we ended up with their two person limit in three hours, with 4 nice big fish that had all of us pretty happy with the day's catch. The biggest walleye hit the bait and took that board under just like a big old Sheephead, so I was very surprised to see that big walleye come swimming up. Woot! Woot!

Kelly and Avery did an awesome job learning how to run planer boards and were helping each other with removing boards and netting fish. They wanted to learn, so they could do it on their boat, and the best way to learn is to do it hands on. We only lost a couple that didn't hook up very well, but it wasn't because of anything they did wrong. Kudos to the both of them for a job well done!

Their cooler wasn't going to be big enough for all the fish in their whole form, so I offered to drive the fish over to Bay's Edge where they could have them cleaned. Then, they would fit in their cooler.

After some pictures and our goodbyes, I came home to clean the boat for tomorrow's trip.

Again, and I can't really believe this....but, the program is still the same thing, as it has been for a month now!
    Crawler harnesses behind 1oz inlines 25 back when it was windy, and 41 back when it calmed down, took most of the fish today. One or two were caught on the #2 Tadpoles 25-29 back. Speed was again, 1.5mph.

Tomorrow's weather looks fantastic, and I plan on leaving Mazurik's at 6am and heading right back to my spot again. I'm not leaving there until those fish leave.

http://www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com/Blog.html
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious. I know you are using snap weights. I am using "40" jet divers 6 ft in front of our harnesses. We were thinking of heading in that direction in the morning. How deep are those numbers putting your baits? Thank you in advance for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

20 to 30 feet on a 40 jet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyebanger22 View Post
    Just curious. I know you are using snap weights. I am using "40" jet divers 6 ft in front of our harnesses. We were thinking of heading in that direction in the morning. How deep are those numbers putting your baits? Thank you in advance for any help.
    I don't run snap weights. I'm running 1oz inline chain weights and the number two Tadpoles for weights.

1oz 39-41 back at 1.5 is up way high...top ten feet.

#2 Tadpole at 27-29 back is around 13-14 feet
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters