Snap Weight Question Snap Weight Question Snap Weight Question Snap Weight Question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snap Weight Question

Ok, so after house flooding to deal with and other projects we finally made it out last Saturday before it got pretty rough in the afternoon. I started out by trying to run harnesses with snap weights. Have done it in the past but I am never too sure on my depth. So I started out letting out 20ft. of line, snapping on a 1oz weight and letting the counter go out anywhere between 55-65. I caught a few white bass and netted 1 walleye. We kept marking fish around 20-25ft. So on one side of the boat I decided to try our #40 jet divers. I was running those between 60-65 back. Almost right away I hooked up on a sheepshead. Almost immediately I landed 2 walleyes right after that. Then another. Then all of a sudden I hooked into 3 catfish within a half hour. Talk about a buzz kill. We started down near the sw corner of kelleys as we are docked at Marblehead harbor. We just headed north. What am I doing wrong with the snap weights? I just seemed to do a lot better once I switched to jets. Thanks in advance. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

A one ounce at 100 back should be about 14' deep at 1.5 mph. You will probably need to go to a 2 or 3oz. I would go with 3oz personally, should be 40 back to get 20' deep. And if your going faster than 1.5mph have to run longer leads.

Post Thanks / Like

We run 2oz'ers six foot up from the harness or spoon, then vary depths in five foot increments starting at 25-30-35-40-45-50 and see where we are picking up the fish. You can use the chart, but there are so many variables depending on current, which way the waves and wind are blowing, what line you are using, trolling speed, etc, we just use the shotgun approach instead of trying to be too specific.