Rare catch...another great day 5/31 Rare catch...another great day 5/31 Rare catch...another great day 5/31 Rare catch...another great day 5/31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If it matters to anyone, when I saw the post I just thought wow, that's pretty awesome. I have never heard of or seen a walleye with that appearance. It never crossed my mind to think that it wasn't something that was unique and memorable. NICE FISH EYECRAZY! To me that is a perfect reason to have these forums. So you can share something as cool as that. How many true fishermen would actually go way out of their way to post a bogus picture. Again, nice fish, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Listen.....I am not going to get into a pissing match over this. I was just sharing an experience we had last weekend and giving a fishing report. I was just as excited about my niece catching her first walleye and spending the day with my son. I thought the blue walleye just made it that much more memorable. But when you go as far as to say you were looking at my instrument panel to estimate the year of the photo....I would say you thought I was not telling the truth....which means you thought I was a liar.
    Oh for God's sake. This is the last I am speaking on this matter.

We all look at things in different ways. If anyone dares to tell me that they don't test things for truthfullness or accuracy, I would call them a fool. If you're a straight shooter, which I don't doubt, then you do test things against your own sensabilities every day. I am sure that others looked at the photo the same way.

To be quite honest, if I didn't think you were a straight up guy with nothing to hide, I wouldn't have asked about the picture. I would have just went "********" and kept right on going. Instead, I asked for some clarification, thinking possibly it was auto-correction (camera's do that not people), etc...

So, yes, I was looking at the pic and testing it's veracity. I am not the only one who did when they saw it and nor will I be the last. In the end, I trusted your word and asked about why the colors were the way they were.

I might point out that I was in fact correct. You posted the original and the issues were all gone. So SOMETHING, not your fault, SOMETHING did happen to the picture.

I quote from my first post on this thread "Eyecrazy has been a good contributor to the site, which is why I am not eager to point a finger, but am wondering if the photo got self-corrected or chenged in some other way. "

The spot on the gill that is regular "walleye color" makes me wonder if what Wakina says could be true about he blue slime. Perhaps you or someone grabbed it on the gill like you are with the other walleye in the picture, and it caused some of the blue to fade away? Either way, I think it is a cool catch and news worthy story as stated in my previous post.

Now, I am done with this. Good luck to your fishing, EyeCrazy. Thank you for teaching the younger folks about fishing and enjoying nature. Keep it up!
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Default We're good!

It's ok B Can....we're good!

I can say that there was no colored slime on that fish, it was simply the pigmentation of his skin and that was it. Like Wakina said, it's like an albino in the fish world. Everything about it was a walleye just a different color variation. I have looked at several photos on the web and he looked just like the ones I found that detailed the blue walleye. I really regret not tossing him back, but we were in the heat of the action at that time and I didn't give it enough thought. We thought about having a mount done but all they do is paint them anyway so I don't think it would have been that special.

I plan on being back at it Friday and Saturday! Good luck to everyone going out this weekend!

Jim

Personally I was intrigued by that fish and a few of us have took to the internet to learn more. Its a reminder of a fishery we decimated in the past. I will release one if caught. But I sure think a blue walleye hanging on a wall will bring more comments than one thats 30 plus inches long.

Default " blue morph"

That looks like a blue morph.... We have caught a couple of them over the past few years..... Easiest way to tell the difference between a blue morph and the extinct blue pike, is the blue pike did not have the white spot on their anal and lower caudal fins. The blue morph gets its blue color from a new protein in their mucus, they are fairly common in little lakes in Canada.

Hi guys. I've been a lurker here for years but this post made me register. Just got ok'd to post. That fish sure doesn't look like a walleye to me. Look at its snout compared to the walleye next to it. It has a face more like a perch. Blue pike were supposedly more closely related to perch than walleye from what I read. Does anyone else see this??

Awesome catch!

Yes, that white spot confirms it was a walleye. Never heard of the blue morph name before.

Thank you so very much for sharing your pic. I didnt even know about blue, albino, and blue slime. I come here to learn. This was the most interesting thing ive seen here. I cant wait to outwit my hubby with it, lol.
    Thanks
    Dawn

Default Thank you!

Thank you Blue Eyes!

I am glad you got something out of this post. I try to contribute all I can to the forum because I owe it to everyone here. I have learned so much about Lake Erie and walleye fishing from the good people here that I can never fully repay them. I am no spring chicken, been fishing the Lake for almost 30 years and still learn new things every season. The people here help the quality of life for all of us. Sometimes we take things for granted, but we should all remember we have a good thing here!

Life is good!

Default fwiw

talked to another capt. here on the Canuck side about the fish Eyez and I caught in the past couple of weeks, he said he's come across a couple of them as well in the past couple of years so there must be a resurgence of that fish.
    I caught one back in the late 70's so I guess you can say I've been in quite a drought. lol