Fishing with the Johnson's 5/23/14 Fishing with the Johnson's 5/23/14 Fishing with the Johnson's 5/23/14 Fishing with the Johnson's 5/23/14

Default Fishing with the Johnson's 5/23/14

Started the morning off by picking up Bob and Lee Ann Johnson up at their hotel in town at 6:15. As is normal, I stopped off at Hi Way Bait to pick up some fresh crawlers and some ice for the cooler.

We hit the ramp at Mazurik's at 6:45 and headed to Scott's Point. There were already a bunch of boats on top of that spot by the time we got there, so we set up northwest of them and headed SE, but stayed to the outside of them. We picked up two fish there, and moved to get away from all the boats. I headed north to make a pass from the mid point between Starve and American Eagle and we set lines.

Today was super easy, since Lee Ann and Bob are avid anglers, but fish mostly for Salmon, so they knew the lingo and were comfortable in the boat.
    The wind was down when we launched, but it kept picking up as the morning went on. By the time we finished that second pass the waves were easily 2-4's with the occasional 5 thrown in for good measure.
    Looking at my wind app, I assured them that the winds would be dying down as the day went on, and lucky for us they started dying before they were shown to. Yay! It turned out to be a gorgeous day on the water, and we enjoyed it very much.

We ended up with their limit and a few fish for my walleye chowder and it was time to go in.

1oz inlines 39-41 back and the #2 Tadpoles 25-27 back was best.
    Pink Panties, Monica, and Bugsy's gold blade with the lavendar underside with the three orange dots did most of the catching. Larry Lambert's double willow leaf harnesses did some damage too. Speed was 1.4-1.7mph.

Took their fish to Bomba's, and then took them to my favorite food truck, "Sumpthing Fishy" over in Marblehead to get some perch tacos while we waited for their fish to be cleaned. I took them back to get their fish, and was surprised to learn that Bomba's is charging .80 cents a pound to clean walleye, while most other places in town are only charging .50 cents. Sigh...I can't win with these fish cleaners...lol

Next time, no fooling around, I'm going to Bay's Edge with the fish.

They were very happy with their adventure today and want to come back again next year.....and, that made me very happy.

Well, I'll be back at it for the next three days...so, stay tuned!
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 02-09-2015 at 08:16 AM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default Tadpoles?

Hello Captain. Thanks for all of your useful information. I usually fish around Pelee Island. I bought some tadpoles per your recommendation and I was curious if you run them is real clear water like it usually is around Pelee. I am going to try them this week. How long of leader do you use? I belong to the Pelee Club, a 25 bedroom lodge on the North West corner of Pelee. It is easily seen from the water. This is our 131 st. year on that point. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peleewalleyeguy View Post
    Hello Captain. Thanks for all of your useful information. I usually fish around Pelee Island. I bought some tadpoles per your recommendation and I was curious if you run them is real clear water like it usually is around Pelee. I am going to try them this week. How long of leader do you use? I belong to the Pelee Club, a 25 bedroom lodge on the North West corner of Pelee. It is easily seen from the water. This is our 131 st. year on that point. Thanks again.
    Hi Peleewalleyeguy...

Yes, Tadpoles can be used in clear water. Just get them out away from the boat...
    I use a regular crawler harness that I tie up, and the length is just my two arms stretched out, so I'm guessing 5 to 5 1/2 feet long. I use a barrel swivel on the end of the harness to attach to the Tadpole though, to keep the twist out of it.

Good luck this week! Let me know if they're on Mill point yet. I'm dying to get up there, but no one wants to buy the Canadian License yet. lol
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks, Captain. We had the Pelee Club annual walleye tournament last week end and all of the walleyes were caught on Lighthouse Point. I was trolling and the only walleyes that were caught behind the boat, not on any of the offshore planers. Two of the biggest fish ( almost 8 lbs.) were on 5/8 once gold erie deries with no additional weight. Good fishing! We never made it down to Mill Point.