Water temps Water temps Water temps Water temps

Thread: Water temps

Default Water temps

Just curious on where everyone gets their info on the water temp on Erie?

Default Water temp

I don't listen to radio or TV. For an accurate temperature I simply read the face of my Lowrance. On my last trip it varied from 58.8 to 62.2. These are surface temps. Some day I'll buy a deep water gauge. In the meantime, I can live with what I have and be happy as I will testify when I am on the lake tomorrow with my longtime fishing friends. Ch. 79 or 68.

Dr. Ed is there a thermocline during the summer on the west end? I have always fished Lake Michigan in the summer and the Fish Hawk is indispensable, but I left it in the garage since 30 fow is about the max over here. Also how about the currents, is the speed at the ball needed?

Unhappy

I'm not the guy to ask about the thermocline or the currents. The everyday charter captains will fill you in. The thermocline is not mentioned in any reports I have read recently but current is something many follow closely. I'm just not one of them. I do watch the weather radar closely and it is telling me to stay home today so I'm going back to bed. Tomorrow is another day.

The western basin does not have a well defined thermocline only if the water is deeper than 25 feet of so and than only for a short period during early summer. The average depth of the thermocline is 32 to 39 foot in the summer months so unless your fishing in waters deeper than the depth of the thermocline than dont even be concerned with it. Right now the walleyes are all over the water column so cover different depths and you should do well. As far as currents they change daily based on which way the wind and how hard it blew the day before but dont worry about that. Just turn your radio to channel 79 and listen abd we will tell you how to catch them

Good to know.

Thanks for the reply's.