South Bass Island South Bass Island South Bass Island South Bass Island
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default South Bass Island

Talked my wife into a fishing vacation this coming weekend. We'll be staying on South Bass and I am looking for some tips. We are new to trolling Lake Erie but we've fished Lake Ontario for years... Would running spoons behind jets be a good program to try?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburghfishing View Post
    Talked my wife into a fishing vacation this coming weekend. We'll be staying on South Bass and I am looking for some tips. We are new to trolling Lake Erie but we've fished Lake Ontario for years... Would running spoons behind jets be a good program to try?

Thanks for your help in advance...
    I am only responding to this because it appears that you are a fellow Pittsburg fan. lol

Saturday and Sunday we trolled both spoons and harnesses together with limits of walleye (5 guys) and very little to no action on the harnesses expect junk fish at all depths.

Yesterday we just used spoons and had another great day.

Spoons this time of year are still the best producer right now (in my opinion, not to be confused with the opinion of others in this forum). I catch fish and limit more than not right now with spoons. Others swear by worms.

Later in the season (not too distant future) when the water warms up a few more degrees the spoon bite will slow way down, and the worm bite pick up.

This weekend a lot of people did good on American Eagle, I drove past them every day and never even thought about stopping with the pack as large as it was. However, they did catch a lot of fish there. I promise that whatever happened this weekend isn't going to be the same next, but they are still close enough to the islands that you should be fine this weekend.

If you need help setting up trolling don't be afraid to ask in here. People are most helpful. Skipper9 offers a great wealth of knowledge and is by far one the best Captains and most knowledgeable on the water. He is kinda the Walleye Guru and the great thing is that he is willing to share and give advice without you having to book a charter and pay him. However, I'd strongly recommend that if you have the chance to go out with him the first day you are up here it is one of the best investments that you will make in your fishing career.

Just so you know, I am not affiliated and not doing a commercial for him, I have fished this Lake for over 30 years and I still learn a lot from Jim when we talk.

-Matt

Default Do a walk on

Skipper9 posted yesterday he had 4 spots open Sunday, might be worth the $ to learn from him for a day.

I fished for big fish on Saturday so I fished with double willow worm harnesses behind tru trip jets.. we captured a very nice limit of eyes. On sunday I fished for just average fish and caught a very nice box of fish on spoons. So right now and always I tell everyone just do what your good at. I am not great at anyone technique I am just average on all of them so I fish all kinds of different ways..

Thanks Matt for the kind words.
    As always you can call me and I will give you the most up to date info that I have. 614.327.7144

The use of jets or any of the other common divers used on Erie should work just fine. I will add that if you run spoons, run the Stinger or Jr. Streak size
    2 1/4"-2 3/8" or no more than one size larger, most have not faired well with the larger traditional sized salmon spoons on Erie this time of year. In fact I don't know if they produce well at all for walleyes anytime of the year on Erie.

Programs should be similar to that for salmon fishing but most likely at a slower speed and much shallower, you should target your lure depths to be just above the marks you are showing. Example: the marks that you are showing are at 27' the lure depth should be 23' t0 25' deep. I am assuming that you are a somewhat accomplished salmon fisherman coming from and fishing lake Ontario for several years, I am not, so I added the preceding information about lure depth because I don't know how salmon are targeted, the switch to fishing Erie should be easy, finding the fish will be the key to your success.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    I am not great at anyone technique I am just average on all of them so I fish all kinds of different ways..
    LOL! If LeBron James is just average at basketball, then I guess that makes Skipper9 just average at catching Walleyes! Skipper9 is a humble helpful member of this sight, who in almost all of the other members eyes is at the top of the pile when it comes to catching walleyes and sharing information.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

spoons are working great right now, last year I never used them for some reason the are producing now. People are also catching fish on crawler harnesses. I have never done well with the larger spoons I use the stinger scorpions copper backs, do not use silver spoons they are a junk magnet

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    LOL! If LeBron James is just average at basketball, then I guess that makes Skipper9 just average at catching Walleyes! Skipper9 is a humble helpful member of this sight, who in almost all of the other members eyes is at the top of the pile when it comes to catching walleyes and sharing information.
    LOL...yep! Don't let him kid ya...he's an expert at catching fish, he's an expert at networking, and he'll freely share with most all...they don't come to much better.

Greg

9. Default

Thanks all for the tips and comments. I picked up some scorpions tonight. I'll probably try some crawler harnesses as well. I'll let you all know how we do.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    I am not great at anyone technique I am just average on all of them so I fish all kinds of different ways..
    Possibly the biggest understatement of the year right there. The guy could catch fish in the Dead Sea!
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215