Willow or Colorado blades Willow or Colorado blades Willow or Colorado blades Willow or Colorado blades

Default Willow or Colorado blades

Getting into trolling harnesses this year instead of spoons and cranks. Do you have blade and color preferences for fishing west of the islands? Also brands would be great advice too.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2528 View Post
    Getting into trolling harnesses this year instead of spoons and cranks. Do you have blade and color preferences for fishing west of the islands? Also brands would be great advice too.

Thanks in advance
    Suggest that you also look at the hatchet blades(Doc Shelton)also, you can troll them faster than Colorado blades and they present a larger profile from the quartering side than willows. They work well for me up to about 2.2gps speed. I run them in a spread with spoons. At the higher spoon speeds (2.2 or less) you must check your leader more frequently since the higher rotation of the blade clevis wears the line faster. Always use a clevis that is larger than needed if you intend to troll at higher speeds as they help control line/leader twist. The hatchet blades are unique in that they spin in one direction for even numbered blades and the opposite direction for odd numbered blades. My go to sizes are 6 and 7.

The top of the blades vary so much with different color schemes that it is hard to pin down for you, but blades painted in popular spoon color patterns as well as a mixture of golds, silvers, coppers, purples and pinks. The backs should include some with pink, anti freeze, plain copper, plain gold, chartreuse and plain silver. Now that should be enough to get you started and confuse you.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-20-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I use both Colorado and willow blades. my favorite colors have purple in them. I have done great with purple and black combos. another color I like is something with pink in it. something like eye candy. I also like gale force color and dr death. I get all these colors at galeforcetackle.com. they have spoons and harnesses in many hot colors, and the paint stays on there lures better than most I have tried. and there prices are very fair.

I contacted them and have them tie up my harnesses with tandem blades.

disclaimer I have nothing at all to do with this company and get nothing for promoting there web site. I am just giving information about a product that's very good at a reasonable price