Tadpoles or dipseys? Tadpoles or dipseys? Tadpoles or dipseys? Tadpoles or dipseys?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Tadpoles or dipseys?

After reading capt. Jules comments about the tadpoles I was considering getting a pair of the magnums to run like dipseys for the inside rods like I do dipseys. Does anyone else run the magnum like this or prefer dipseys for this scenario?

I know someone that runs them successfully over by Cleveland and east of Cleveland, but you shouldn't need anything over a #3 Tadpole on this end, due to the shallower depths.

Capt. Gary Zart of Blue Dolphin Fishing Charters runs the Magnums over there, so if you want more info on using them, he would be the one to talk to.

If you need his contact info you can PM me.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

thanks Juls.

I will probably just go with the #3's.

In deeper water I dont see why the tadpole wouldnt work like Cleveland area. Unlike the dipsey that swings down and away from the boat (directional diver) the tadpole would just go below the boat while using it like a dipsey. Usually in shallow water the boat will scare fish away from the boat. Of course this is just my humble opinion. The tadpoles work good when they are away from the boat on a planner board line or small board.

Jim,

That was kind of my question. When in that 30-33' of water when some of those fish are low I was thinking of running a magnum tadpole down 28' with a harness or spoon directly below the boat because I don't see those fish run off the graph like I do the higher ones directly under the boat. I have downriggers, but never have had that great of luck with them, as it seems to spook those fish in my opinion. They do have positive ion control, so I don't know if they are feeling that wire coming through the water or cone of disturbance from the 16# ball but with the riggers down I do see they run off the graph. I know some people successfully fish eyes with them in the western basin, but I haven't had much luck.

Am I off here by thinking that those bigger marks down deep are post spawn females laying low?

The dive curve charts might help you decide which one you need...
    [email protected]

I dont have much luck fishing below the boat in water less than 40 foot unless its really stained. If I was trying to catch fish on the bottom I prefer to run a 8 oz bottom bouncer off the corners of the boat. I open the reel and let it quickly hit the bottom then lock the reel. After the line is tight I let out another 5 to 10 foot and just let it drag. Normally I will pick up 2 to 3 fish on that one rod on a trip. Usually the biggest fish of the trip.

Capt Juls I know you are a pro staffer for offshore tackle and if anyone would know you would. But the tadpole is not a directional diver correct? So if you were running a load motor on a boat fishing a tadpole like a dipsy off one of the corners of the boat it would be directly below the boat correct? Expecially the magnum one with a quicker dive curve?

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    Capt Juls I know you are a pro staffer for offshore tackle and if anyone would know you would. But the tadpole is not a directional diver correct? So if you were running a load motor on a boat fishing a tadpole like a dipsy off one of the corners of the boat it would be directly below the boat correct? Expecially the magnum one with a quicker dive curve?
    Correct. There are no settings on a Tadpole, like on a dipsy. It would dive straight down.
    [email protected]

Thanks for all the advise. That definitely paints a much clearer picture for me on several fronts.