Water temps Water temps Water temps Water temps

Thread: Water temps

Default Water temps

What has the water temp been this week so far. I haven't been out in two weeks. Trying to make some decisions on what to do this weekend, weather provided. Thanks for any input

Boss- I saved this to my favorites on my phone for a quick look at Erie water temps;

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/...t&type=N&hr=00

Tight lines

48.8 degrees west of Kellys today.

Default Water temp

Yesterday afternoon the surface temp just west of Catawba was 50.5 degrees and the biggest fish measured 31 inches.

Gentlemen. I'm a novice on lake erie ( going for 4 years) and usually only make if for the jig bite. what can you tell me about the water temps, how the fish react to those temps, and the techniques I should try when the water is a specific temperature? If I remember some other advice, I believe you go to crawlers/spoons when water reachs 50 degree area? anyway I've never trolled and wondered if my 150 outboard would troll slow enough (can only slow it down to 1.5-1.7 without a troll plate/bag. anyway, I appreciate the information.

Default Advice to novice

I have a 150 Evinrude E-Tec and with 2 five gallon plastic buckets dragging along side I troll down to 1.5 mph and catch hundreds of walleye between 1.5 and 2.2 mph. My 50+ years of fishing Lake Erie tells me the temp should be 55 or higher to really see action but that not being the case doesn't stop me. I was catching fish a few weeks back when the temp was 38, pulled fish yesterday in 50 degree water and I will be catching fish when the temp is 75. Watch this website as to how, where and when fish are being caught. After July 4 start watching the central basin reports more closely. There location is very important in the deeper water as is the changes in presentation. Good luck and enjoy the lake. It is my church.....
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 05-01-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added text