fish cleaning regulations??? fish cleaning regulations??? fish cleaning regulations??? fish cleaning regulations???

Default fish cleaning regulations???

I haven't seen anything posted in a while about Ohio's fish cleaning regs. a few years ago we had to leave skin on per DNR. I assume there is no such regulation any longer? We had in the past "zipped" the fillets removing the y-bone but this made it harder for DNR to count. Anyone know the legal way to clean and transport our fish? How about possession limit? if I stay at hotel in port clinton for a week can I have 7 days limit in possession? I'd like to think fishing is that good to worry about it. More of a inquiring mind kind of thing. Thank you in advance. I hope to have a need to know this weekend. praying the weather forcast holds out or gets better.

Default fish regulations

I hav talked to DNR about poss. limit and he said the only concern its the amount of fish when you come off the lake. He said they seldom follow you to your residence and check fish.

You can look at the Ohio fishing reports thread from ODNR on the main menu page, click on fishing and then General regulations the information you are seeking is located under general information then under general rules. I am away from my desk top or I would post the link!

There is no requirement to keep any skin on the fillets but there are other requirements to be met before you can zipper them. Best to read the regulations on the ODNR web site that you can access from the main menu page on this site and decide for yourself, then you will know for sure. It will give you peace of mind when you actually read it yourself. I hope this helps you with your concerns.

There is no possession limit only a daily bag limit! So you can catch and legally keep 1 days legal limit per day! The ODNR has not yet updated their website as to what the daily limit for perch or walleyes will be begining on 05/01/2014. I am assuming the limit will remain at 6 walleyes per day since there was an increase in Ohio's TAC his year.
    Last edited by wakina; 04-29-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

From the ODNR site:

It is unlawful...

To buy or sell any fish taken by sport fishing, including angling and trotlinefishing, taken from any water area in the state.

To transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another.

For the public to tag and release fish into any public water area.

For any person to possess a fish in any form or condition other than whole while on or when unloading the fish from the boat, while wading, or while fishing from shore on any waters in this state where a fishing license is required.

In addition:

Fillets must be kept whole until an angler reaches their permanent residence or until the fish are prepared for immediate consumption.

There is no requirement to keep any skin on fillets.

This does not apply to anglers with a receipt from a fish cleaning house or charter captain with states date, number, and type of fish possessed.

Fish may be transported whole or as a complete fillet while returning from the Lake Erie Islands on a commercial ferry boat.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thank you all for the information! I hope to see some of you out there this weekend! Love the jig bite! hope they are still there with spotty spring weather.

The people that maintain the ODNR web site need to get up to speed, as of 5 min ago they still don't have the legal limit updated for the Dates of May1,2014 thru February 28, 2015. Found it on a different web page! Here it is!

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/20...please-anglers
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Possession Limits

I'm pretty sure there used to be possession limits on walleye. It was something like three limits. I didn't know there aren't any more. When I get time I'll get out the past fishing regulations and see what year that changed.

I seem to remember a guy getting busted for having a freezer full of walleye fillets, hundreds. I think He was part of a poaching ring, and one of the charges against him was over possession.

Will have to check both.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    The people that maintain the ODNR web site need to get up to speed, as of 5 min ago they still don't have the legal limit updated for the Dates of May1,2014 thru February 28, 2015. Found it on a different web page! Here it is!

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/20...please-anglers
    I called them yesterday and told them they needed to update that. She said she would tell whoever does that to update it. I haven't checked to see if itwas done yet though.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks for taking the time to call the ODNR. I just checked the regulations page and it has not been updated yet. With this being Sat. it probably won't be updated until next week. Once again thanks.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    I'm pretty sure there used to be possession limits on walleye. It was something like three limits. I didn't know there aren't any more. When I get time I'll get out the past fishing regulations and see what year that changed.

I seem to remember a guy getting busted for having a freezer full of walleye fillets, hundreds. I think He was part of a poaching ring, and one of the charges against him was over possession.

Will have to check both.
    There has never, to the best of my knowledge, been a possession limit on walleyes taken from the Ohio waters of Lake Erie and managed by the ODNR. I cannot speak for other states but the first limits were introduced by the ODNR for the Ohio waters of Lake Erie in the 70's at 10 walleyes per angler per day (daily bag limit) with no possession limit so long as you did not exceed the daily bag limit.

If a person would purposely go over the daily bag limit and get caught, that person would be considered a poacher and all of that persons fish can and most likely will be confiscated from them, that would include all fish in their possession, even in their freezer at their home. There would be no distinction in a court of law of whether they were legally caught or not when the poaching case against that person is presented by the ODNR. An accused individuals actions would be sufficient evidence to reasonably assume that at least part of the fish in their freezer were the result of over bagging and would not be considered over the nonexistent possession limit. By poachers (purposely over bagging) I am referring to those who take 2 or more limits every day while the fishing is good, those are the people who take 2, 3 or more trips a day with the intentions and the specific purpose of filling their freezers during the Jig season or anytime the bite is close to home port and hot.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-04-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS