Perch fishing Catawba area Perch fishing Catawba area Perch fishing Catawba area Perch fishing Catawba area
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch fishing Catawba area

I've always docked at beef creek and fished around the cans so perch fishing around the Kelly's island Catawba area is new to me my wife would like to get a dock around east harbor or Catawba since that is where our trailer is my main question is where is the decent fishing in that area since I don't really know and decent places to dock at thanks for all the help and info

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where your trailer is, but N E Port, Herls, or Catawba Landings are all priced reasonably. They are all located on St. Rt. 53 and have quick access to the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

If you dock in West Harbor you need to be made aware of the shallow spot on Short reef or Middle Harbor reef. The can on that reef is a lot like the can on Crib Reef! It is a long ways away from the actual hazard spot. I lost/destroyed a prop to the shallow spot a few years ago so my son in law who was along that day went out on his jet ski and found the reef, he was able to stand up on it and the water barely came up to his knees. It is the the first can just outside the harbor entrance and to the ENE. The danger spot lays between the harbor entrance and the can. Just so you know.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

East Harbor and West harbor are the most economical and the farther your dock is from the lake the cheaper it is. Docks are more expensive over here than Turtle Creek or Toussaint, but you have protection from weather around the islands and much better fishing in my opinion. East Harbor is great, the harbor itself is an exceptional fishery for bluegill and largemouth and occasionally perch. As far as main lake fishing, there is great fishing to be had any direction you want to go. As far as perch, all around the Bass Islands, Rattlesnake Island, American Eagle Shoal, in front of the airport on the East side of Kelley's, and Kelley's shoal to name few close areas. If you want the big perch, they can be had by traveling 20 miles east to the sand bar. For walleyes, typically they're found west of the islands until late April or early May. Then they can usually be found around the Bass Islands and Kelley's island and the water in between til late June. If you want to fish Canada, there is exceptional fishing to be had up there around Pelee island. If you're not familiar with the islands area, like Wakina said, use some caution and a good chartplotter.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

West side of kellys island right off stone docks is good perch fishing. Also Marblehead lite house area to cedar point is good as well

Post Thanks / Like

West and South of the red can at Gull Island Shoals is excellent for perch also. When the wind is right you can be fishing in 30 ft of water on the Shoal side of the boat and 35 ft on the south side of the boat. It is really a steep drop there and I play it safe and don't get shallower than 15 ft. If there are rollers coming from the NE you will be able to see where the island used to be as they will be crashing on it. But that is only one of many shallow areas at Gull Island shoals that is why there is an s on the end of shoal.

Lucy's Point is also good but don't go between the green can and Middle Bass, there are several shallow spots in there and you will see Herons standing on the submerged rocks on any given day. Ballast Island reef can be good also as well as Airport Reef east of Kellys. Like Walleye2go says get a good chart or better yet mapping GPS. Watch for Tibbles head boats any where between Kellys Island and South Bass as that whole area can be good and they are really good at finding the perch in that open water. Green Island is not that far either. I have to agree that the Harbors are well located for some great fishing with shorter running time.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch

Thanks guys for all the information I really appreciate it I've got a mapping chip for my lowrance so if I choose to go,to that side hopefully it helps

Post Thanks / Like

Having fished the area for the past two years, I can say the perch fishing is pretty good around the islands. The size seems to run a bit bigger than farther west. I usually fish up around Kelleys Shoal and to the east of Kelley's, but I also know many guys have had great luck up around Green, Rattlesnake (and "the rattles"), and east side of middle bass.

As for docks, Channel Grove (East Harbor) is popular on this site with several guys. Midway Marina (West Harbor) was on my list of potentials (cheap price, but long run-out).
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.