Missing Boaters... Missing Boaters... Missing Boaters... Missing Boaters...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregnwtf View Post
    Sad day today as the search is going on for 2 of 4 ppl. Alot of things going thru my mind of how this could happen. The location of the boat when it was found, wind dir. how well some know the lake. The driver of the boat was not a new comer to the lake. As I think about the location they were coming from. The direction from the Rattle and Green and the route back to the dock is right by Crib reef. Super skinny water there on a calm day plus windy conditions with toughs in the waves. Toussaint is just SW of that.
    People please use upmost care on Erie every time you go out. Check all of your gear and have plenty of fuel. Go slow in rough water. Safety First.
    Thoughts go out to the families of these fisherman.
    Please , all be careful out there !
    The same thoughts crossed my mind also, I avoid crib reef even with GPS. The marking Buoy is several hundred feet from that danger spot adding even more confusion as to where safe water is and where danger lurks. The buoy tender has to much draft to get to the danger spot to deploy the buoy closer. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the Victims of this tragic event.

The effort put forth by the USCG was to me was very impressive. They had a Plane in the air as well as Choppers and several boats. Border patrol was even involved searching the shoreline between the Toussaint River and Camp Perry. This proves to me that those agencies are there when you really need them.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I for one would be more than happy to chip in some money to properly mark the danger of Crib Reef. That buoy is so far northeast of the danger spot it's not even funny.

Can't all of us do something to mark that spot??? You draw a line from Green area to Turtle and the line is right on top of Crib reef. With waves like they were, the top of those boulders would have been exposed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    The same thoughts crossed my mind also, I avoid crib reef even with GPS. The marking Buoy is several hundred feet from that danger spot adding even more confusion as to where safe water is and where danger lurks. The buoy tender has to much draft to get to the danger spot to deploy the buoy closer.
    Excellent points. About 3 buoy's in deeper water in a triangle around that thing might be the answer, might save someone's life someday. It is very confusing and the single buoy is sometimes hard to see! I'm also wondering...are the buoys out there yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Default No damage

Fox news is reporting that there was no damage to the boat according to an ODNR supervisor involved with inspecting the boat as part of the investigation. They will be checking the hard drive of the GPS for any clues to an erratic maneuver that could have caused the sinking.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey B-CAN MAN, have you heard anything on if they are still looking for the other two missing? All I keep thinking about is the family sitting there in agony waiting for there loved ones to be returned. Had a good friend go threw the ice and it took four hours to find him. Waiting is very painfull and heart renching....

Post Thanks / Like

Coast Guard called off the search last night for the other two. Sheriff's Office was going to continue this morning until noon. Almost a guarantee now that it will be fellow fishermen to find them.

Waiting and hoping anyone is found is agony. I lost two good friends to the lake in 2002 when they and two others were swept away trying to save a girl that was wading in the lake when she shouldn't have been. It took a day and a half for my second friend to be found.

Pray that they are found soon and that there is an answer to why this has happened.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

This is heartbreaking to hear. We were on the lake during a search last year, I know the coast guard does everything they can. Please be careful out there guys, this very we'll could've been me last year, it's a helpless feeling that I hope nobody ever has to feel again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B can man View Post
    Fox news is reporting that there was no damage to the boat according to an ODNR supervisor involved with inspecting the boat as part of the investigation. They will be checking the hard drive of the GPS for any clues to an erratic maneuver that could have caused the sinking.
    It was a somber day on the Lake yesterday with all the air traffic, and knowing what was going on. Sick feeling in my stomach as we headed out and kept "watching" the water. I did not know anyone involved, and yet it effected me a great deal. My heart is with those families.

The fact that there was supposedly no damage to the boat makes you wonder if his anchor got thrown overboard and grabbed at high speed or something. Pure speculation on my part and just wondering out loud.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Still saddened by this tragic loss. I didn't know Bryan personally but feel like I did. Reading his Facebook page, I know he was a guy I wish I could have spent some time with. God speed Bryan to you and the others abord.
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Still saddened by this tragic loss. I didn't know Bryan personally but feel like I did. Reading his Facebook page, I know he was a guy I wish I could have spent some time with. God speed Bryan to you and the others abord.
    The Western Basin of Lake Erie is a dangerous place. When wind and shallow waters meet, all bets are off. We all knows this.

I do not not know these people, but I know their story. It has been played out every year in one way or another. It is terrible. It sucks. It is what we all know is possible.

Yet, we launch our vessels...