To Tip or NOT to Tip... That is the question To Tip or NOT to Tip... That is the question To Tip or NOT to Tip... That is the question To Tip or NOT to Tip... That is the question
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have shiners with me most of the time jigging. I've had times where I have to cut them into to catch walleye. I've had other times where they have to be live to work and I've had times where if you have one on you won't catch anything! This past weekend it didn't matter either way.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    I understand that I is not a cost issue... And I have no issues with "touching" worms or shiners... But if I don't need to worry about it and it makes no difference then I won't mess with them.

I don't need to worry about getting the aerator and fresh batteries, an extra trip to the bait store, the slight mess on the boat, or any of that if it has no bearing on the catch.

I am more just asking for informational purposes... I guess this week I'll just try both and post my results.

-Matt
    I guess that what I was trying to say is that you will have some cash invested in your trip and it would be a shame not to at least have some shiners along even if you did not have to use them, just in case the eyes are not as aggressive when you are out there, it could or may save your trip. But that has to be a personal decision that would best be answered by your own personal experience after you have a few trips under your belt. Sounds like the spawn is happening rather fast this year with the number of spawned out females that are showing up. The closer to being over it is the less aggressive the males will become. The reason I say that is that walleye tend to be finicky fish and not all that predictable in what they would strike or bite. They may just want shiners when you don't have any along. That was my thought when I posted my first reply.

By the way walleyes are broadcast spawners and do not build a nest and they do not have the protective nature that a small mouth would. Highly unlikely they are guarding eggs as the eggs that are fertilized are free fallen eggs and are not concentrated like they would be if layed in a prepared nest and the male would not know where the eggs were located as they would be spread out all over.
    Last edited by wakina; 04-14-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    By the way walleyes are broadcast spawners and do not build a nest and they do not have the protective nature that a small mouth would. Highly unlikely they are guarding eggs as the eggs that are fertilized are free fallen eggs and are not concentrated like they would be if layed in a prepared nest and the male would not know where the eggs were located as they would be spread out all over.
    Interesting... Now I will probably hijack my own thread, but I have to ask. If what you say is true (which I have no reason to contradict you) then why are the males so aggressive? I have just believed what people have said (that they are guarding eggs against gobies and such) and went along with it because it made sense. Now I am going to have to research it. But I'm curious as to what others think or know about why the male are so aggressive in certain areas, if not protecting eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    Interesting... Now I will probably hijack my own thread, but I have to ask. If what you say is true (which I have no reason to contradict you) then why are the males so aggressive? I have just believed what people have said (that they are guarding eggs against gobies and such) and went along with it because it made sense. Now I am going to have to research it. But I'm curious as to what others think or know about why the male are so aggressive in certain areas, if not protecting eggs.
    Uhmmm... testosterone maybe? Maybe because they feed pretty aggressively any other time of the year and that instinct doesn't shut off during the spawn? Don't know, just theories there.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Madd Matt
    Since it is to hard for me to explain with a few words I have posted this question on Ohio Sea Grant and hopefully they will respond and I can post a link to the answer here. Then maybe once and for all the question of whether or not the males guard the eggs will be settled. I want to know if what my research in the years past taught me was correct or not and do not want to mis-inform you or anyone else.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeerieguy View Post
    Of charter buddies both on Friday and Sat and all caught limits both days without a minnow.All boats had the Captn plus 6. Just personal choice this time of year. Out east got out Sat for a test ride and 4 of us pulled 13 on Blade Baits close to the harbor.

Dale
    Lakeerieguy, which harbor are you refering to? East?
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

There are many techniques used to catch a walleye. Anything with live bait is sometimes one of the best.

the early season spawn jig bite is targeting aggresive males who are in the act of fertilzing eggs. Therefore I use a hairjig to entice a strike out of aggression and fear. the minnow does nothing for a spawning walleye. If the males are not aggresive enough to hit a jig then i have plenty of baits and tricks to get them to hit. To me that is the fun of fishing and the reason i love to target walleye.

To me if i am using a hair jig targeting an aggressive spawning male i do not need a minnow. if a minnow is needed then that walleye i am catching is not an aggressive spawning male.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Madd Matt
    Since it is to hard for me to explain with a few words I have posted this question on Ohio Sea Grant and hopefully they will respond and I can post a link to the answer here. Then maybe once and for all the question of whether or not the males guard the eggs will be settled. I want to know if what my research in the years past taught me was correct or not and do not want to mis-inform you or anyone else.
    Here is the response from the Ohio Sea Grant! The link has my original question and the response from Ohio Sea Grant. Hope this helps clear up the question of protecting eggs or not.

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1537.0.html
    Last edited by wakina; 04-15-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Smile Thanks for the follow up Wakina

that's good to know. I use minnows because I always have. I will still use a jig with twister tail too for fun. Get my jacks & then slide out to 23-25 ft & troll for picture fish. Have fun. Good Luck & Good Fishing

waterdog Guest

Default Gulp Leaches

I have caught a limit of milking walleyes on the Gulp Leaches jigging.