need dipsy rod help need dipsy rod help need dipsy rod help need dipsy rod help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need dipsy rod help

Having trouble finding dipsy rods under 8 ft. It looks like the cal 7 ft.1100 ugly stick has become extinct. I hope that you good folks on the best fishing forum can guide me towards a place that might have some or a decent dipsy rod under 8ft. When fishing alone the 9 to 10 footers are just not enjoyable when netting.

What size Dipseys are you running and at what setting? With or without rings? What purpose, Walleye or salmon?

I will be fishing mostly in central basin out of wanut or northeast pa. Using #1 or #3 depending on where the fish are. I would like to run inline boards as well when the spirit moves me. Prime target is walleye and occasionally steelhead. probably running 2or 3 rods per side depending how many of us there are. Plan on getting out to western basin once or twice a year as well.

There are a few shorter rods our there for your application. Some are made for steel line with a roller on the end. Some of the old timers will even tell you about steel dipsey rods that existed. If ll else fails, you can always modify what you have by trimming them down and placing a tip on. Okuma and Shimano are a couple names that should have what you need.

Thanks mr.spoon

Smile

poor Richards on the west side will have what ur lookin 4. If they don't they will know where 2 get it!

Ordered cal 1102 which are the 2 piece version from ebay this winter. May want to check ebay

Gwpete, I would suggest depending on your what looking to spend shimano, diawa both make a 7' M and MH, although neither come with roller tips, both are solid rods, I believe the shimano is a TDR series, and diawas series include the wilderness7' and accudepth 7'6". Both rods are listed as downrigger rods

But your in luck JBI GREAT LAKES RODS make specifically a 7' 1 and 2 piece heavy dipsey rod. These rods can be hard to find sometimes should retail for around 35-40. Hope this helps let me know if ya need any help locating anything.
    Last edited by dreamcatcher; 04-12-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: grammar issues
    David M Miller
    Dreamcatcher Fishing Bait & Tackle
    912-433-6000
    [email protected]

CAL1100 , CK your local walmarts Ive bought a few in the last week

http://www.fomsportfishing.com/index...d=67&Itemid=96

Some pretty great information in this tutorial.

Also netting Dipsy's by yourself can be very difficult, Shorter rods with shorter leaders may help but I would think at a price. Shorter rods will make it harder to read when you have a fish on.

I too find myself fishing solo from time to time and struggle with Dipsy's. I made an extension for my net so now its about 8 feet long. Good luck and I will be interested to hear your results.
    20' Sea Ray