boat question/update boat question/update boat question/update boat question/update

Default boat question/update

I replaced my live well pump last night, its all plastic and the water lines are rubber, it connects to a brass fitting that goes through the hull for the water pick-up. My boat is fiberglass. For some reason the boat manufacturer has attached a ground wire to the brass fitting. Anybody have an idea why they did this?
    Also if people remember I replaced my alpha1 out drive last spring with a generic SEI drive for $1500 it took 10 minutes to install and has a 3 year no questions asked warranty. So far so good over 300 hours on it last season and it is running fine, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    I replaced my live well pump last night, its all plastic and the water lines are rubber, it connects to a brass fitting that goes through the hull for the water pick-up. My boat is fiberglass. For some reason the boat manufacturer has attached a ground wire to the brass fitting. Anybody have an idea why they did this?
    Also if people remember I replaced my alpha1 out drive last spring with a generic SEI drive for $1500 it took 10 minutes to install and has a 3 year no questions asked warranty. So far so good over 300 hours on it last season and it is running fine, no problems.
    It is grounded to prevent electrolysis so the fitting doesn't corrode away.
    Imperial 24' walk-around
    17' Mirrocraft
    Lowrance Global Map 7600 HD

Blog Entries

Metal parts underwater are subjected to two basic types of corrosion: galvanic corrosion and stray current corrosion.

Fish Tales,