Ship to shore radio Ship to shore radio Ship to shore radio Ship to shore radio

Default Ship to shore radio

Looking to upgrade radio on 17' crestliner. Currently have a hand held. Would like to mount one with antenna for better reception. From what I understand the antenna is the most important part. Are there any antennas that are retractable or collapsible? Any info or recommendations would be great!

Ben

Ben- I have a 1750 Sport Fish and use a Shakespeare VHF 7in 5912 Rubber Duck Antenna Model# 5912. I used the hole in the gunwale that the AM/FM radio used to mount the base so no new holes where needed. When I leave the lake or put the cover on I just unscrew it and put it in the glove box. Being a smaller boat I do not venture more then about 5 miles out from the islands or shore and have good reception. I have also done radio checks while out and it has worked great. You can get them online for around $50.

I added a am/fm antenna under the dash that works better then the original that was mounted to the gunwale. Also have a hand held on board with a cell phone just in case.

Thanks for the info! That looks good for this type of boat! We will either be coming off of south bass as we vacation there in the summer or off the reef area... We just wanted to feel a little better than we did with the coverage of the hand held..

Ben

If you are looking for a larger antenna that you can remove without completely removing mount, wire and all! Here is one that may help you some and it is an 8 ft antenna for extended transmit and receive. Comes mount and all.

WWW.baylynantenna.com
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by Domers98 View Post
    From what I understand the antenna is the most important part.
    Ben
    Antenna is the most important element. If on a budget spend the extra $$ on the antenna.
    I replaced my last year and made a world of difference. I will post make and model after work 2nite.
    20' Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    If you are looking for a larger antenna that you can remove without completely removing mount, wire and all! Here is one that may help you some and it is an 8 ft antenna for extended transmit and receive. Comes mount and all.

WWW.baylynantenna.com
    that's a nice idea for removing the antenna. and a 8' antenna is always better than a short antenna. I went to a 9'6" antenna 2 yrs ago from a cheap 8' one and I was amazed at how much better my radio worked. but I have the ratchet mount and just lay it down and put a piece of rubber pool noodle over the end of my antenna and tie it off to my rear cleat.