newbee?2jiginitis69 newbee?2jiginitis69 newbee?2jiginitis69 newbee?2jiginitis69
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default newbee?2jiginitis69

Ive fished just a few yrs 4 Eyes at PC on open water.? is, when we have caught Eyes in late April early may they are light colored (silver or white lookin).Some of the pics I see on this gr8 site,the Eyes seem to have more natural color to them. Like when I see after the water temp has come up a bit.Is that true or just a newbees inexpierence!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye Coloration

I think its 2 fold. Genetics & water temp. Could also have something to do with reproduction stages also. This year through the ice we caught a variety of coloration. Some dark Green & Gold, and others the lighter Green back with whitish bellies. Hard to say? Not a biologist myself. They all taste good though! LOL Good Luck & Good Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx 4 the reply,Jiginitis69. No biologist here either(LOL),was just curious.I agree on gr8 in the skillet.Im down to one bag of Eyes n the same with panfish.I do enjoy eating those bluegill as well.I heard east harbor is good place to go for gills.Do you know of any other place close to PC. I know this is a Walleye forum,but I like to have a back-up plan on those bad days.Again Thanx,and Good Luck!!!

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye color phases

Walleye come in a variety of color phases. It is not unusual to see a wide variety of white through bronze / dark green color shades in Erie. Erie is a Great Lake with a huge area of habitat and a lot of habitat variety, and the millions walleye population reflect this. The most common is the kind of "washed out" lighter shades, pure white on the entire belly and often lower sides with lighter to medium brown/gray/green (bronze) sides and a darker green top (the river spawning fish this time of year are a good example). Walleye from northern US and Canadian lakes have the same general pattern but usually much darker. As a past fisheries guy I've seen this variation in a group of 50 or so walleye from the same trap net. It is normal. There are even some slate gray variations in the colors.

Yes, as far as I know they all taste great!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank u very much for ur input!