Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice conditions

Default Ice conditions

Looking for info on ice conditions around the basin? I know it is still not fishable but just sitting at work dreaming of is what to come. Any news is good news.

Default Toledo lighthouse web camera

Take a look at the pictures on this web page. You an see it breaking up nicely at the Toledo shipping channel lighthouse.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/metdata/tol2/

Default Blue Bird Morning

Hopefully clouds stay away this afternoon & we get a good satillite pic from Modis. Weather forecast sounds favorable for ice break up. Temps in high 40's, Rain, & South winds shifting to west and increasing. Hopefully current thaws out launches & gives some access. Don't need much this time of year.
    Last edited by jiginitis69; 03-26-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add pic

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default LE Western Basin Ice Conditions

If any lakeshore locals have a visible report on the ice I'm sure many folks here would love updates, including myself. Yes, the NOAA shipping channel light webcams show some open water and the ice has been moving around that lighthouse, but the latest Satellite photo without cloud cover still shows the Western Basin around 90% ice coverage. The cold temperatures this week have slowed the melt and maybe even increased the ice cover, or stabilized it.

One look at the latest Satellite image with the entire Lake at around 75 - 80% ice coverage means the Western Basin will probably be locked in for at least another few days. The water temperatures are still 33 degrees across much of the lake. Once the melt and breakup begins again it will probably take weeks for the ice to clear completely. It all depends on the temperatures and rainfall.

At this point I wouldn't plan on any safe open water fishing until at the earliest the week of April 07 - 13. Even if the ice has broken up and a lot of it has melted, one north or east wind could push flow pieces back into the Western Basin and make boating hazardous.

It's going to be a late start to the open water fishing season, no matter what.

Default Icebergs flow thru channel

Was fun to see the icebergs flow thru the shipping channel, wont be long.
    Not sure but I thought I saw Jignitis sitting on an iceberg jigging going past the camera, was that you Jiggy??? LOL.

I am heading up there in a few hours to drop some stuff off at the camper and plan on stopping at a few of the more popular launching sites. I will take my camera and see if i cant post a few pics for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I am heading up there in a few hours to drop some stuff off at the camper and plan on stopping at a few of the more popular launching sites. I will take my camera and see if i cant post a few pics for all to see.
    Thanks that is nice of you!!

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    Thanks that is nice of you!!
    I'm going up tomorrow and will be there on Friday. I'm just making a trip to check the house and boat. I should be able to get some photos of East Harbor from Channel Grove, and some from the Lakeside pier if anyone is interested in those areas.

-Matt

pic7 lighthouse towards kellies

pic8 lighthouse towards cedar point

pic9 ice pile at lighthouse

pic10 large ice pile north east of kellies

pic11 light towards kellies east side

pic1 portage river towards Catawba

pic2 channel grove gas dock towards channel.*** channel open looked to be about 8 or so inches of white ice around docks

pic3 channel grove back across east harbor

pic4 mazurik looking towards mouse island

pic5 mazurik towards Canada between put in bay and kellies

pic6 Marblehead to kellies