Avoiding the winds Avoiding the winds Avoiding the winds Avoiding the winds
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Avoiding the winds

I am heading out there the 14th of April dragging the boat. We will be staying in the Port Clinton Area. I see the Catawba launch is the closest to use. My question is what other areas are there to launch around the western basin to avoid the winds? Like if there was a stiff west wind you'd probably wanna launch somewhere closer to the western shores? Not scared to trailer to another launch to avoid the winds if mother nature is being difficult.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Point Marina, Wild Wings Marina, and Meinke's Marina are to the west (all have ramp fees and Meinke's doesn't let you power load at all)...all inside harbors. Catawba is okay to launch at with a west wind, but is wavy in a SW wind. Mazurik's to the east is south of kelly's island and is another free launch with a protected launch, but is just off the "slop chute" and will be rough with a west wind.

Turtle Point: http://www.turtlepointmarinaresort.com/map.htm

Wild Wings:

6395 N Russell Rd
    Oak Harbor, OH 43449 Marina Phone: 419-898-2005
    GPS Coords: N41.61037 W83.10647

Meinke's Marina: http://meinkemarina.com/

Mazurik's: https://www.ohiodnr.com/LinkClick.as...3d&tabid=22600
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 03-22-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

The county dock on Catawba island West Harbor works in a west wind.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Western Basin launch ramps

There are several sites that list launch ramps in the western basin of Lake Erie. This site (walleye.com) has a list of marinas on the home page, left column, down at the bottom, ""Marinas and Dockage." Some of these marinas have a public launch ramp. Do an internet search with "Lake Erie western basin launch ramps" and see what you find. Some have photos. Here's just one - www (dot) lakeerieactivities (dot) com - it has a launch ramps page with photos and location / info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default When it's rough it is rough

It is pretty difficult to avoid rough conditions on Erie when the wind is up. In my experience, the conditions coming out of Wild Wings and the conditions coming out of Mazurik on the same day are going to be roughly the same (no pun intended). There may be a few exceptions to this, but if the intent is on fishing, you won't be going where you will want to go to catch 'em.

In the summertime, you can choose to make the rough ride out from one of the Catawba or Marblehead launches and then hide behind the islands for some Walleye or Perch fishing, but I am not sure how the the fishing is this far out during the spawn as I stay in close.

Just my .02 and someone may have had different experiences than I have.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strong West or NW

Michigan waters are very fishable is heavy W and NW winds in the spring . Luna Pier , Bolles harbor , and Sterling State Park all have ramps . Fishing can be just as good as the Ohio waters both trolling or jigging plus the limit year round in the Michigan waters is 6 not the 4 Ohio has.

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeerieguy View Post
    Michigan waters are very fishable is heavy W and NW winds in the spring . Luna Pier , Bolles harbor , and Sterling State Park all have ramps . Fishing can be just as good as the Ohio waters both trolling or jigging plus the limit year round in the Michigan waters is 6 not the 4 Ohio has.

Dale
    I guess I assumed that he wouldn't want to drive all of the way to Michigan or even north of Toledo, since I try to avoid saying the name of that place north of our border

I'll have to check out what you're saying some time though. Maybe on vacation some time when I have a few days to stay up there to make it worth the drive.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.