Please elaborate.......... Please elaborate.......... Please elaborate.......... Please elaborate..........
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've always wondered... Have any of you tried to run a dipsey with a 6 foot leader with a harness? Sometimes it seems like a pain to get the exact depth you want using snap weights. Or does anyone have a system that works best for you? In the past I have let out 20 ft. Of line, clipped on a 1 oz snap weight and gone from there. But sometimes it's tough knowing exactly how deep I'm running. Always thought of the dipsey method but never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyebanger22 View Post
    I've always wondered... Have any of you tried to run a dipsey with a 6 foot leader with a harness? Sometimes it seems like a pain to get the exact depth you want using snap weights. Or does anyone have a system that works best for you? In the past I have let out 20 ft. Of line, clipped on a 1 oz snap weight and gone from there. But sometimes it's tough knowing exactly how deep I'm running. Always thought of the dipsey method but never tried it.
    I run them dehind dipsys all the time. Works great.I run them with jets, dipsys, and weights.

Ok thanks. I think I'm going to try running them off a jet and a side planer on the outside and running them off a dipsy on the inside and see if it works out easier. At most we run 6 rods. We run the jets with spoons all the time and do pretty well. When we can stay away from the white bass.

I run big boards and mainly only use weights for reefrunners. Will use on harnesses some. Trutrip 40 and dipsys are my main diving devices. Fast and easy to run when running 14+ rods at a time.

Harnesses by themselves have no diving qualities so with the Wt. 20ft ahead of the harness you should be able to tell how deep the wt is but the harness will be forced up by the water pushing it upward. If you change to inline Wt. system you will have a better knowledge as to where your harness is because it will be only the length of your leader away from your weight. The snap wt system works best with crank baits because most cranks have some diving ability keeping it in the targeted zone. But that diving ability has to be considered also when using the snap Wt. system as it will add depth to the known depth of the snap Wt. you are using.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-23-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default dipsey size

I use size one (1) dipsey with ring and set at #3 & #1.5 when using 2 on a side; Set at#3, #2, #1 when using 3 on a side. With 2 people I use #3 setting and straight line 40' jet on a side. With 3 people #3 & #1.5 settings and straight line 40' jet on a side. More trash fish than tangles. Make a long arc when turning. Catch several 'eyes on the inside when turning since the dipseys fall/slow down and make a different presentation. I don't troll over/near reefs.

Default Dipsey speed

What's the minimum speed that dipseys work well? I tried them for a while last year and I think I was going too slow. They didn't want to side plane very well. Thanks.

Default dipsey speed

I try to run 1.7 to 1.9 knots.

Jeff,

When you make your big boards and I know you will give me a call and I will drive up and we can make two sets..

Aaron