Please elaborate.......... Please elaborate.......... Please elaborate.......... Please elaborate..........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please elaborate..........

I am currently trolling with Church boards the TX-22's and I like them. Remember, I am new to trolling compared to you guys. With that being said, can someone tell me why some people run big boards and some people run inline planers?? I have always been curious! I chose the inlines because of the cost of the initial set up.

Please reply as I am really wanting to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    I am currently trolling with Church boards the TX-22's and I like them. Remember, I am new to trolling compared to you guys. With that being said, can someone tell me why some people run big boards and some people run inline planers?? I have always been curious! I chose the inlines because of the cost of the initial set up.

Please reply as I am really wanting to learn!
    The most obvious reason in my opinion is the ability to run more rods at one time. Running more than 6 at a time on in lines is very difficult, but you can run up to 18 on big boards. Also when the fish is hooked on big boards you fight the fish the whole time and not the board.

These are few things I can think of, I'm sure others can add

-big boards are better in heavier waves, no ski overs you get with little boards
    -you can run twice as many lines per side with big boards
    -like said, you fight the fish the whole time with big boards
    -little trash fish are easier to see and clear the line to rebait on big boards
    -you can run any kind of lure with any kind of weight or diver on big board
    -running big boards with a good bungee system stabilizes the boat in heavier weather
    -it takes less time to teach new people how to run the big board system
    -trying to run lightly pulling lures in gusting winds is more difficult with big boards as they tend to want to wrap the fishing line around the tow line
    -little boards are quicker to deploy and pick up

I'll add that the Skipper9 system of running big boards, in my opinion, is unbeatable for running a lot of people and catching a lot of fish quickly. You bring the fish to the boat when you're ready for them and as fast as the crew can work.

Greg

Default trolling boards

I fish with 2 people and run just 4 boards. This is working just fine. With more people, you may want to uses the trolling rigs rather than inline boards.

Default boards

It seems that we all started out trolling the inline boards and graduated to the big boards. I agree with everything greg put. usaully you start using bigger boards when you start having more people than poles you can use with inlines. also 40 and 50 jets dont pull to good with inline boards. if you only fish with 2-3 people continue to use your inlines for a while till your ready to upgrade. Ive been threw 3 boats now and 3 different trolling systems in the last 6 years. Remember change costs money!!!LOL.

My 2 cents, Like mentioned, Big boards for running a lot of rods. But running 8 inlines and 2 down rods ( 10 rods total) really isn't a problem. A good friend of mine on his Islander runs 6 inlines per side most everyday on Sag Bay. Plus the down rods. (14 rods total) He mainly runs harnesses.
    If you plan to run a lot of harnesses and using inline weights and running slower speeds where big boards can be more difficult to run unless you have a taller boat ( the main line stays out of the water much better) inline boards are the way to go.
    Jets are kind of required for pulling harnesses as they have a dive curve where inline weights are speed sensitive, with jets speed does not affect your depth. Also your actual diving depth using big boards and inline weights is affected by the amount of line out of the water. Not a lot, but can be a factor.
    If you set up your inlines to release the front clip, you never fight the board and the released board swings to the rear of the boat. Tattle flags when set up correctly can tell you when you have just a few weeds on your lure.
    Now if your going to want to mainly troll with a lot of rods/people, run cranks or spoons for the most part. Big boards would be my choice. But 80+ % of my fishing involves pulling meat. So I stay with inline boards that I have modified to work for me.
    Last edited by ebijack; 03-22-2014 at 04:56 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default non-board trolling

Throwing in my 2 cents for what it's worth: I learned to troll using big boards and multiple rods on several kind mentors' boats. After I was able to get my own boat I started using big boards but switched to straight line jets & dipsey divers. I have rigged up so I can run 6 dipseys and 2 jets, but usually only have 2/3 people and run 2/4 dipseys & 2 jets. Really simple for once a year guests and the grandkids. Just drop the bait and let it unreel to the proper depth. No line hookups to small boards or clipping lines to big board tow lines. Whatever works best for your situation is the thing to use. Good luck to everyone this year.

What size dipsey's do you run?

It is of my opinion that to run the big boards in an efficient manner you need at least 3 people. 1 person must be dedicated to boat handling when going into a head wind unless you have an auto pilot. Small boards can be brought in and then you can make a run back to your starting position and start over without trolling into the wind unless it is absolutely a necessity. Sure you can bring in the big boards and do the same thing but with a much greater effort.

I can run 4 small boards per side if needed and they don't require the space to store that big boards do. I am talking boats that have a limited amount of storage space available and not the big 27 ft.or larger boats with 10 ft. beams. To me 4 people & 8 lines would be about max to run small boards. But with the newer stern planers by Church Tackle you could run an additional 2 lines similar to flat lines but further back off the back corners making a total of 10 lines managable, that is if you have room for 4 people plus the driver comfortably, but once again boat size limits you to the number of people and lines.

So for me it is small boards everywhere with either jet 40s or the newer tru-trip 40s. I have never had a problem with them behind the small boards and they have worked just fine. Dipseys are out when I fish over the reefs as they like to sink on the inside when making turns allowing them to contact and snag in the rocks so to keep equipment to a minimum I have eliminated dipseys from my boat. Inline wts are also effective but like dipseys can and do sink when slowing down or making turns allowing them to contact and snag the bottom if the leads are greater than the water depth, so for me it is the floating divers, with the preference going to the tru-trip 40s. But I would add that I only fish in the western basin.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-22-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default personal choice

my 2 cents, I run a 16' starcraft 50 hp and love the big boards and love the small boards. depends on the day. I have run both and the bigger boards are easier to see junk fish on. the inline's are easier to manage turns and pick up and run. It is nice to just fight the fish and not the board with the big boards. I made my own big boards out of cedar and have no problem with storing them. I fish most of the time with just 2 of us in the boat. would just be happy, happy, happy to be fishing now instead of wishing i was fishing.