Another one bites the dust! Another one bites the dust! Another one bites the dust! Another one bites the dust!

Default Another one bites the dust!

I had another great weekend in Wheatley. This time I trailered the boat, launched Saturday at 4pm and fished till 8pm. We landed 1 King and 7 steelhead and lost 5. Sunday was a short day. Lines in the water by 6am and pulled by 10. We landed 11 more steelhead and lost only 2. Before you guys beat me up for over bagging, we cooked 4 fish saturday evening on a tailgate grill. It was AWESOME!!!!!!! 19 for 26. Our big fish was pushing 14 pounds and another 12. Most in that 7 pond range. All colors worked. Most on the riggers and a few on dipseys and 1 on an inline board.

Whit's Whaler Guest

Default Awesome

Greg, awesome job on the fish, wish I could have been there (thought about you guys all weekend). Looks like you did better than .500 this trip. I'll bet there was no 12 lb fluorocarbon on the boat. I'll also bet you didn't cut the line on anyone's fish and make them hand line it in (I just like things to be a little more challenging, lol). We'll have to figure out when we can go again. How long does the bite over there continue into the fall? If it's still going to be good, look at your calendar for the weekend of August 30. We're heading to Montana for some fly fishing on the 9th, so I won't be able to go until I get back.

Here's a couple of questions:

Did you try a J plug (the king)?
    Still fishing the top 20 FOW?
    Same place where we caught fish?
    No walleye this trip?

I took the family fishing out of Geneva State Park on Saturday (7/26), what a great marina. Still trying to learn new areas. Had to work on Saturday morning (it figures, morning bite was hot and seas relatively calm) so we didn't get out until around 2pm. Made a 12 mile run out NE to 70+ FOW. Lines down around 3pm, seas 3-5 building to 4 to 6 footers. Wife's sunbathing on the bow (not a good idea with 4 to 6 foot waves) she's sea sick by 3:15. But I have to give her credit, she's a trooper and stuck it out to let us fish until 6pm. Ended up with the kids realing in 11 nice fish and losing 4 others. Not a bad 3 hours in a new area with bouncy conditions. Man are the fish on this side of the lake deeeeeep. Only 3 fish off of the riggers down 65' (Pooh Bear Purple and Blue Dolphin Stingers). All 8 of the other fish came on the dipsies (with rings) (all on Watermellon Stingers), set #3 205-210 back, #4 225-230 back.

All in all pretty good outing (except for the wife's stomach). All the fish were good quality with the kids catching three really nice hawgs 25", 26", 27".

Check your calendar for aother trip to Wheatley. I also just got a PM from John (True Blue) maybe we could get together with him some time as well.

Keith

Keith,
    Nice job on the eyes.

The fish were in the same area. We first went South of the harbor and the first rod to fire was the King. It was on the spoon and it made 2 spectacular, high speed jumps. My guess is a 3 year old. I did run a J plug with no action. We trolled to the area we worked over and began to catch after a dry spell when we got close. We went back to the same area the next morning. We landed 6 fish in the first 45 minutes and had the water to ourselves. It was evident the early bite was the hottest. We picked slow and steady after that.

The fish were deeper. 29 ft down was hot and we caught as deep as 38.

No walleye for us, but others did catch eyes.

We were amazed at the perch being landed at the mouth of the river. We saw full baskets and stringers and I'm not sure if we saw one less than 11 inches and many many jumbos. Next trip, I will spend a little time perching.

My next opportunity to do it will be August 8,9,10,11. I am always interested in doing it with new fishermen. The fish are in there through Labor day. The next couple of weeks will be prime. True Blue must go around this time.

Trailering was a good idea. We saved a little on gas and had a sweet set up parked beside the boat (opposite of where we were last time) with electric and set up my tailgate grill and ate a ton of fresh fried and grilled steelie. the only thing better would have been a few perch to add. The fish was amazing! We slept in the boat and Suburban. My friend was able to run his C-pap.

Customs for the return was a little slow.

Lets start to put it together. We could do 2 boats if needed. My wife will probably want to go this time. Rick is also probably wanting to go.

Let me know what you think.

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a solid 7. It was very good and still improving.

Greg

ilandem Guest

Default boat size

Hey spoontang love reading your post. I have a twenty foot deepwell monark would that work safetly to get out where you guys go. And do you go directly out from wheatly, where do you cross border and are there any fees. thanks.

I mainly run by water from the Port Clinton area. This past time I trailered my boat through Windsor. There are no fees other than bridge tolls. If you can trailer your boat, go for it. If you have a long range fuel tank and the weather is stable, try making the open water cross. I am going back in a week for a couple of nights. I will trailer over again. If you make the run, let me know and I will give you coordinates, set up etc. If you can do it, I strongly encourage you to go. It is dynamite!

mkegley Guest

Hello Spoontang! It seems like you really know a thing or two about fishing Lake Erie. I have a walleye/perch trip planned for the 27th of September. Leaving out around the Port Clinton area. I am sooo looking forward to this trip. My question is how is the fishing at that time of year? This will be my first and only trip this year and I hope its a good time of year to catch some nice fish and enjoy a great day on beautiful Lake Erie.

Mk - The perch fishing has been good this last week around rattlesnake island. Walleyes are being caught along the Canadian line. Depending upon the charter service you are using, they may go east and have a little bit more luck on the walleye

Default where to launch

Spoontang: Where do you launch when you trailer to Wheatley. This would be a much closer trip than trailering all the way to lake Michigan. Also What lures are you using for the steel head.

Thanks
    Mitch

Hello again men- Been in Ny fishing Lake Ontario and did fair for Kings and Very good on steelies. I'm going to do a blanket post to try to cover it all.........Mkegley, The fishing Sept 27 can be explosive!!!!!!!!! Perch are easy and generally anywhere; Eyes are moving back this way for their fall shad gorge and smallies can be just unreal! You should have no problem finding something to bite!!!! PZ is 100% correct. Many charter captains are running the border and picking up limits of eyes......... Mitch, I launch at Holiday Harbor, Wheatley harbor Authorities. Incredible service.........Good luck brothers

milfeater Guest

ilandem I have a 17.5 fot deep v and so far I have had no problem at all...just need to use common sense....good luck.
    Last edited by milfeater; 09-02-2008 at 02:06 PM.