Maumee River Update Maumee River Update Maumee River Update Maumee River Update
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Hmmm

Double edged sword. Boats are best, but ya gotta know the river & shoals. Lost many a shear pin back in the day on a submerged shoal or 5. LOL. Waders are nice but other anglers and their desire to go deeper & deeper can get aggrevating. No need to go out to waist deep water sometimes, but someone will walk out into your hole. Always happens. I would take a small/lightweight aluminum boat with a 10-15 hp motor. Use cinder blocks for anchor. DO NOT USE A NAVY ANCHOR! you wont get it back probably. Seen a lot of crazy things happen on river. Good Luck & Good Fishing

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Simple advice

Jiginitis69 is correct, a lot of crazy things happen on the river during the spring walleye and white bass runs. Usually it’s bad because someone did something stupid.
    I grew up in Perrysburg and fished the spring runs every year. Best advantage a boat gets you is the ability to get away from the wader fisherfolk. You can get to areas they can’t, especially down river from the Maumee / Perrysburg Bridge and around the upriver end of Ewing Island (the big island just down from the bridge). There are some real good spots in that area only accessible from a boat. If you want to take a boat on the upstream side of the bridge be very cautious. Do not go there when the water is anywhere near high. I’ve personally watched two boats go down out there, one of which both fellows drowned. It was horrible to watch and know you could do nothing (before cell phones). We tried to warn them but they couldn’t hear us and didn’t heed our arm signals not to try and anchor. Jiginitis69 is right, trying to anchor a small boat in that current is difficult and dangerous even at lower water levels. HAVE ALL YOUR SAFTEY GEAR AND WEAR THE CORRECT APPROVED PFD (life vest). If you do go in that cold water and current you won’t last long and rescue may take 30 minutes or longer.
    Wading is much easier than using a boat and it gives you access to more places. You can do fine wading but you’ll have to learn the system and protocol as you will most likely be fishing in a line with others. It’s often not as bad as many make it out to be. Be courteous and cooperative, talk with the others fishing. You will often find they will work together so everyone (within reason) can fish. Get your "river legs" before you venture out into a group. If you have time scout the river and you can find places with less fishing pressure. Walk the shoreline (be careful, you need to stay in the water to be “legal”, and I say that not as a lawyer. Some property owners are very vigilant on watching their property during the runs and they will run you off). Access through private property is hard to come by but if you start early (October – January) you have a decent chance of getting permission somewhere. Asking now is usually a waste of time but you may get lucky.

As for fishing method floating jigs are the usual method instead of the lead head jigs of the past. I haven’t fished the run in years so I don’t have that knowledge. Someone else can explain that. First thing in the morning is usually best as fish move in overnight. Good fishing!
    Last edited by West Basin; 03-30-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Add info.

As for fishing private property, it depends on how ea parcel of property is deeded. I've tried to get permission to duck hunt and Wildlife advised that you have to go to the proper county office and determine if they have a map showing how it is deeded. Some own to the shore while others own out into the water. So, being in the water doesn't mean your good to go!

Default River Update

Went out for a couple days. Fishing was fair. The high winds made it tough Tuesday. Manage to catch a few Big Eyes and seen a few other guys pull a couple off the water. Conditions were fair. Females were working their way upstream. I saw a couple caught around Buttonwood. Not much happening near Jerome St. I believe it will get better next week after some rain and constant normal temps. Good luck to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMike View Post
    As for fishing private property, it depends on how ea parcel of property is deeded. I've tried to get permission to duck hunt and Wildlife advised that you have to go to the proper county office and determine if they have a map showing how it is deeded. Some own to the shore while others own out into the water. So, being in the water doesn't mean your good to go!
    Hmmm, just asking as back in NW ohio after being gone out west for many years. Property not deeded to high water mark???? When I was a kid and learned to Duck hunt on the river as long as you were in the water you were okay... has that changed? Don't doubt you but need clarification, thanks.

Caught a limit yesterday afternoon took around a hour. Seen a few fish caught around me also. Fished downstream point of bluegrass. Half ounce weight 3-4 foot leader. Orange floater green with sparkle tail. Calling for 1-2 inches of rain today and tomorrow. As soon as the water starts dropping it's going to be game on.

Quote Originally Posted by bob8492 View Post
    Hmmm, just asking as back in NW ohio after being gone out west for many years. Property not deeded to high water mark???? When I was a kid and learned to Duck hunt on the river as long as you were in the water you were okay... has that changed? Don't doubt you but need clarification, thanks.
    Bob, i live on the Scoito river and my property extends to the middle of the river. If you are in a boat you are fine, it's if you get out of the boat and touch the ground under the water that could cause an issue.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Bob, i live on the Scoito river and my property extends to the middle of the river. If you are in a boat you are fine, it's if you get out of the boat and touch the ground under the water that could cause an issue.
    That's how it works in here in Kentucky. The state says nobody owns the water, even if they own the land underneath it. As long as you aren't touching the ground, you're fine. So is the consensus to either fish from a boat or deal with hundreds of people at the public areas?

Default 100's ????

Hoyt. Try 1,000's. Every year during Easter Weekend the Toledo Blade publishes a picture of Maumee & fisherman. Literally 1,000 + in photo. GOT BOAT? LOL. I fish the lake since 82'. But in college & a few years following we lived off the river. Walleye to White bass. We wont eat any White Bass. We throw them back no matter what size on lake. In life your only allowed to eat soo much of a specific food & in college we caught them by 100's every day. Filet & Freeze. I've eaten enough for a lifetime. LOL. Good Luck & Good Fishing to all

Actually, the Ohio Wildlife Officer I spoke with said that your in violation if you set foot, anchor or have decoys anchored that you are in violation/trespassing. He was the one who advised going to the county to get a plat book or other mapping that actually shows where the landowners property is deeded to. Fishing is a little different than hunting, landowners frown upon people with guns on their property unless give permission.