How far off the bottom? How far off the bottom? How far off the bottom? How far off the bottom?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How far off the bottom?

I have been ice fishing many many times this year, we have caught limits and we have struck out. So my question is this.

How far off the bottom do you typically jig for walleye? I have heard 6 inches to 6 feet.

That is the only thing we cant seem to keep consistent, just cant seem to grasp how far of the bottom is producing the best results.

Default Re: How far off the bottom?

That is going to vary based on where you are and what mood the fish are in. You should be able to tell what depth they coming in at from your flasher or graph. If you dont have one you are in a tough spot and will need to rely on trial and error.

I usually jig with aggreesive motions until I see my first fish. I can tell on the flasher if it is coming straight in or with some vertical motion. If you are not drawing fish try higher. They feed upward. Next try a couple differnet lures. Repeat the process. If that doesnt work move.

let me say this. this is my 1st year ever using a vexilar and have caught more fish than ever before . I have caught them from on the bottom all the way up to 5ft from the top and without the vexilar I would not have had a clue that the fish were up that high. I had a fish hooked it came off just a little from the top of the hole I looked at the vexilar and it was there 5 ft from the top dropped the lure there and wham he took it. will not fish without it again.
    Last edited by dueceman35; 03-05-2014 at 12:45 PM.

So, what is the best flasher for the money at $300 range and $600 range?

Default flasher

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMike View Post
    So, what is the best flasher for the money at $300 range and $600 range?
    My vote is vexilar fl18. But it is only one I have ever used. Don't see how you can get much better, and seen reports of guys that have bought newer vexs or other brands, and say they wish they stuck with the Fl 18.

Default fish

I have fished several times this year where I had fish come in as far as 10' off the bottom. I'd reel up to have them come right after my lure, I was expecting junk fish, and got nailed as close as 6' below ice. It was walleye! But I spend most of my time bouncing the bottom, with occasionally moving up

Awesome post thanks for the responses. We have also only been using spoons. is there a lure that you think may work better?

Default lures

I am fond of jigging rapalas, and Swedish pimples...... talk to 20 guys, you might get 20 different responses. You will talk to guys that tell you, you must use "this" lure, and "this" color, and the next guy might tell you different lure, different color. My take is this....it is a matter of getting on the fish, then finding lures you get comfortable/ confident with. I have seen days it makes no difference what lure, nor do you need bait. I will say this....when fish are particular, presentation, and the style of lure can make big difference, ie.verticle jig versus horizontal, versus blade baits.....and different sizes....
    Hope this helps!

Here's one from Sunday 3/2

Default off bottom

today 12 miles out it was bottom to 15 ft off bottom, in close to shore, right in the mud, large and meduim cleos