Ice shanty - What to buy? Ice shanty - What to buy? Ice shanty - What to buy? Ice shanty - What to buy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ice shanty - What to buy?

Ok, what is a good two man shanty/hut to buy and where to buy on line? I also would like to purchase one of those sleds with covers that you haul with a sled/ATV, what type/brand is best for Lake Erie and small lakes?

I saw a lot of guys dragging the sleds but wondered what type of shanty they had to be able to fit it all in?

Default Smitty SLed

I have had both a Clam & Eskimo 2 man. The Eskimo seemed to be better quality and more roomy. You have a bunch of choices on size, insulated, depending on how much you want to spend. I have one suggestion that I recently did. I made a "smitty sled." both were hard to pull in the snow and the smitty sled is a great option. I have used it on lake erie. Google Smitty Sled and see the pics.

Default Otter

Otter has the best sled base and square tube frame if your looking for a flip over. Check with Frank's in Linwood MI. Vast knowledge

Thanks, I read the Otter but it says they only ship to certain states. If anyone has pics of rig set and not set I would like to see. Not worried about this year but want to have something for next year.

Default Prepare for the worst

Keep in mind that if your hauling a set up with atv or snowmobile to prepare for the worst. They tip over (shanty's) when pulled. Or your gonna go slow, very slow and even then????? Gotta button everything down. I put fir strips under lips and put 3/8' eye bolts through and secure with wratchet straps. My buddy keeps his poles in a pole holder on his back. maded a rack for auger & milk crates to hold buckets which in turn hold bait. Its a process of improvement as you go. LOL

I really like the Eskimo brand. I pull my Eskimo behind a quad and also behind a 6x6 Polaris ranger. This last week we went out 4 days, about 6-8 miles each day, we moved a couple times, and my GPS shows my speed between 18-28 MPH. I hit some pretty big shoves that I didn't see in time that I thought for sure were going damage or flip the sled... I have never had my sled flip. I do have the 3 man sled & shanty and it has a little larger base than most 2 man. However, the Eskimo FlipMo 2 Inferno (Inferno means its insulated) has the same size sled and same footprint as the 3 man, and the seats swivel! I have already ordered the Eskimo FlipMo 2 Inferno for next year. They aren't shipping until August this year. The shanty is attached to the sled (as with most any brand you buy "Clam" "FraBil" etc...) from the time I pull up to my spot until the shanty is fully set up on the ice is less than 1 minute (this will also be the case with any good brand flip system).

The seats you see are permanently installed, but they flip down. I fit 4 - 5 gal. buckets in the sled, plus a 20lb propane tank with heater (seen in pic) That all fits behind the seats. I then put all my rods under the seats from the front, and I have a TON! of room left in the shanty sled to travel. The only thing that I do not put in the shanty is the auger. The shovel and everything else all fit in the shanty for towing. The nice thing is that you can set the shanty up without having to move or unload any gear... you can do that once it is set up and the heat is on!

The Eskimo is a great product and amazing customer support should you ever have a problem. I had a crack in one of the plastic windows.. they answered the phone right away, asked me the model & serial #, and shipped me a new one.
    Last edited by Madd Matt; 02-20-2014 at 09:44 AM.

A few more pics of the Eskimo Shanty
    Last edited by Madd Matt; 02-20-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks Matt, so where is the best place to purchase from? So tell me more on how you fish your flip up? When you want out, do you go through door or flip up? Does the skirting sit flat to keep wind from cooling things down. What stabelizes the sled/shanty when two guys are sitting on the one side of it? Do you set heater in front of or behind you? What is best price on the 3 man eskimo flip?

I don't know if they carry the model you are looking for but~~ Here is a site that has several brands including Eskimo as well as good prices and they allow you to spread your purchase of $150.00 or more over 4 months if you have decent credit. You have to join and the cost is $29.99 but usually you get that back and then some in savings with a major purchase. Click on boating & fishing in the left side menu and then on the far right there will be the ice fishing gear. I bought my remote kicker steering, The Panther electro steer T4 for $439.00 and that included the membership fee. That is at least $50.00 cheaper than any other place that I found. Then you also get 2 coupons worth $10.00 each for your next 2 purchases. Took less than a week to get my items and they were well packaged.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/club/clubtour.aspx
    Last edited by wakina; 02-20-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Otter hands down. They have the best made sleds available. I've been pulling them on Erie ice for years without any problems. I cant say that about the Clams I had, the tubs would crack.The only downfall they are not a cheap shanty or something you want to pull by hand, they are heavy.

Thornebros.com has shanties on sale, and if you ship to someone that have a business address it will save you some money. Franks has been sold out of otter for awhile

ive never had a problem with mine flipping with the factory tow bar, but then again I don't 50mph like some.......
    Last edited by Firetiger; 02-20-2014 at 03:31 PM.