Ice shanty - What to buy? Ice shanty - What to buy? Ice shanty - What to buy? Ice shanty - What to buy?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just bought an otter lodge.....the full insulated one.....cheapest was on amazon with the free shipping....plan to use it ONLY behind the ATV.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

Hey Eye Doctor, did you get the XT650 lodge or 1200 lodge. Can't find any 650's in stock with free shipping.

Default Otters

Try looking at franks in linwood, or northwoods in pinconing. Both just over alittle over 2 hr drive north of toledo... Plus they a a welth of information.... A great day trip. Franks will also deal on the marked price. They also have shanty days,,, like the first weekend in dec. So you could wait till next year just before the season. They make them down that weekend..... Good luck

I got the 1200...But I also pay $ 80 or so a year for amazon prime...don't remember but that may be why it was free shipping...I use amazon a lot.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMHAYS View Post
    Try looking at franks in linwood, or northwoods in pinconing. Both just over alittle over 2 hr drive north of toledo... Plus they a a welth of information.... A great day trip. Franks will also deal on the marked price. They also have shanty days,,, like the first weekend in dec. So you could wait till next year just before the season. They make them down that weekend..... Good luck
    franks has been out of OTTERS for awhile now......... to good of ice this season

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMike View Post
    Ok, what is a good two man shanty/hut to buy and where to buy on line? I also would like to purchase one of those sleds with covers that you haul with a sled/ATV, what type/brand is best for Lake Erie and small lakes?

I saw a lot of guys dragging the sleds but wondered what type of shanty they had to be able to fit it all in?
    I don't want to hijack your tread, but if you're interested in the Otter sled/shanty, I have an Otter "Cabin" model with all the add ons. (hitch, cover, one seat, and hyfax runners installed.) Used it one time. New, over $600. I'd sell it for $375.00.

Iam interrested in your otter my BigDan
    Last edited by BigDan; 02-25-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Default Otter sled/shanty

BigDan, sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMike View Post
    Thanks Matt, so where is the best place to purchase from? So tell me more on how you fish your flip up? When you want out, do you go through door or flip up? Does the skirting sit flat to keep wind from cooling things down. What stabelizes the sled/shanty when two guys are sitting on the one side of it? Do you set heater in front of or behind you? What is best price on the 3 man eskimo flip?
    Mike,

Sorry, I haven't been on here for a week... There are plenty of windows in the Eskimo (or any good shanty), you enter through a door. Yes, there is a skirt that completely surrounds the shanty (as any good brand shanty will have) that lays on the ice and stops the wind. The seats are bolted into the sled and when you are sitting in the shanty "you" are weighing the shanty down. When you set up a shanty they are designed to have their "back" to the wind. In 35 -40 MPH I wouldn't think twice about walking away from the shanty and leaving it by itself. There are shanties that require anchors and tie downs... A good shanty with a sled should not require tiedowns. Keep in mind that the shanty is connected to the sled, and the sled has all of your gear in it. My sled probably has 75 lbs or more of gear... all of that weight is holding the shanty in place.

The heater I use is massive! I have a ton of room inside (this is something that you need to consider heavily when looking at shanties), I use a radiant heater on top of a 20lb propane cylinder... most people use a "Buddy Heater" that uses the small propane cylinders... Many shanties do not have room for my heater, and most guys would tell you that my heater is WAY overkill... I keep it on low, and 2 weeks ago when it was -18 degrees and blowing my shanty was 65 degrees and we were fishing in our t-shirts. The "Buddy Heaters" will keep it plenty warm and most guys want to be a little cold anyway... isn't that kinda what ice fishing is all about?

The Eskimo FlipMo 2 Inferno is insulated and runs about $600 + You should be able to find an Eskimo 2 man or 3 man for under $500. Mine is not insulated, but I don't need it insulated as I heat mine.

-Matt

Thanks guys, I ended up buying the Otter 650 Lodge, initially wanted the Cabin but found late season price for same as I could have picked up Cabin so went with Lodge, just hope it isn't too large/heavy. Didn't see Time4one or I might have looked at yours........oh well, day late and dollar short.