Perch and Panfish Perch and Panfish Perch and Panfish Perch and Panfish
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch and Panfish

I realize this is walleye.com, but has anyone caught a lot of perch or panfish this winter? I was hoping to go fishing in some capacity this weekend and need a backup plan in case weather doesn't permit going way offshore for walleye. I'll be on Catawba but willing to travel to a good spot.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by llw View Post
    I realize this is walleye.com, but has anyone caught a lot of perch or panfish this winter? I was hoping to go fishing in some capacity this weekend and need a backup plan in case weather doesn't permit going way offshore for walleye. I'll be on Catawba but willing to travel to a good spot.

Thanks in advance
    Welcome aboard!

Let me say this, you don't have to apologize for asking that question here most members are not what you could say political correct. This site will be on fire with perch reports later in the year. I don't ice fish anymore so I can't help you with any reports. But if you feel uncomfortable going out on the big lake due to wind or other reasons you may look at the East Harbor area for gills, and sometimes decent perch are caught in the channel that runs thru the harbor I have also heard of a few northern's being pulled thru the ice there this year. You can access the harbor from East Harbor State park. There will no doubt be several fishermen on the harbor this weekend that would get you pointed in the right direction to start drilling holes. Hope this helps.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the tips, Wakina. For now it looks like it'll be ideal to go out for some walleye this weekend, but if the weather turns I will probably poke around East Harbor and maybe West Harbor too. Either way I'll definitely post my results.

Post Thanks / Like

Poked around a little bit in West Harbor Saturday to no avail. Ran out of daylight before we had the chance to try different spots.

Went out from Catawba State Park on Sunday morning but we were on foot and with all that slush the hike offshore was sloppy and exhausitng. Only ended up fishing a little while before we were freezing with wet feet. Didn't get any walleye.

Next trip out I'm just fishing the harbors unless it's solid ice to walk on offshore. Live and learn.