Off topic boating question (sorry so long) Off topic boating question (sorry so long) Off topic boating question (sorry so long) Off topic boating question (sorry so long)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Off topic boating question (sorry so long)

Sorry for being so far off topic but after watching this forum for years I respect the knowledge I see here. About 8 years ago the wife and I purchased a moble home on Sandusky bay (weekend trailer trash). That first year we bought an older 23ft boat and had a ball. Loved that old boat and figured it was our learner boat. After sticking it on the sandbar a few times and eating a few sets of props we started to get the hang of this boating thing. After a few years the stringers started to rot and the wife said she didn’t feel safe so we traded it in on a 25ft sportcraft walkaround thinking it would be a good “pleasure/fishing” boat. Turns out not what the wife wanted (too much fishing boat not enough pleasure boat). Long story short wife was not interested in learning to drive or dock the boat. Then last year the wife took sister-in-laws to the trailer without me. They decided they wanted to go for a boat ride so off they went They did fine getting out of the marina but had a little trouble on the way back(thankfully replacing a merc prop is much easier than the dual props I had on the first boat). The sister-in –laws had such a great time they bought a mobile home in the park and now have the boating bug. I told them about the safe boating course available in our area and we are all signed up to take it. Now for my question. Do any of you know of a hands-on boat driving course where they/we can be taught how to drive and dock a boat in the Sandusky/ Marblehead area?

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you signed up for the Coast Guard Lake Erie Nav. Class. Covers safety and basics for the lake. What I found out is that some people cannot maneuver a boat period. Never will. Take the boat out slow and do turns and reversing maneuvers. Every make of boat has it's own personality. Inboard and outboard are different. They call this on the job training. Good luck with that and I hope it does not break up you marriage

Post Thanks / Like

Put your hands on the wheel... Take it slow when your next to the dock put it in reverse for a second.. It will stop on a dime....if your off put it in reverse and try again. I have driving boats since I was a lol kid and still have to pull out and do it again sometimes.... When theirs wind you just use a ill more gas so you don't get blown off you course...only way to learn to do it is to do it....stay safe and good luck
    Lowe Life

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Huron Lagoons marina offers driving and docking classes. I was in your shoes a few years ago and a 12 pack of beer to an experienced boater got me a hands on class for an hour or so. His biggest advice was only go as fast as you want to hit something. After a few times and learning what your boat will do all your jitters will go away. Also tell your passengers not to move around, it will turn your boat in directions your not expecting.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Go slow, especially when docking or headed into the ramp. Your only braking ability is going into reverse, and typically going slow eliminates that need.
    2. Pay attention to the wind, its going to push you. Side winds especially, and you have to counter-steer based on wind direction.
    3. When going slow, remember that when you steer, the boat isn't going to respond immediately. It's going to take a minute to respond and turn, it isn't 100% instant like a car.

In all, go slow. Especially in marinas, just idle in gear to do what you need to do.

As far as the prop goes, learn a path or channel that works, and stick with it. If you or your wife is having issues hitting bottom multiple times, somebody is not paying attention or not learning.
    Last edited by freddie; 01-24-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good advice above. I would just encourage you to take a basic boating class to learn about the rules of the road, safety etc. There is a US Power Squadron in Sandusky and Port Clinton that offer these classes. I'm sure there are experienced boaters in these classes who would be willing to spend a few hours with you on your boat to help you get the hang of operating and docking your boat. Also, do you have charts of Sandusky Bay and the lake? How about a depth finder? With those two you should be able to navigate your way without running aground.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classes

I do agree if your not sure how to get around I would deft recommend a safety class... If you not comfortable in your boat take it slow on days when the wind is at a minimal...no matter how slow you pull in a dock. Let the boat make its way to the dock don't try to hit the dock, you wanna pull up inches from the dock a ill bit of revese turn lower unit towards the dock will stop on a dime where you want it.....
    fYI. More wind cross wind gotta use more gas to compensate for thecrosswind
    Vbring it in hot and use th rvrse to stop it at the dock