Umbrella Rigs Report Umbrella Rigs Report Umbrella Rigs Report Umbrella Rigs Report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Umbrella Rigs Report

I tried umbrella rigs on half my trolling rods during the season and my results are as follows ; I used 3 wire rigs with 2 6 inch wires on the outside and 1 8 inch wire in the center. 1 rig was on a dipsey diver with 3 michigan stingers and 1 rig was on a jet diver with 3 stingers on the same side of the boat. On the other side of the boat I used 1 stinger behind a dipsey diver on one pole and a stinger behind a jet diver on the other pole. I started my season the 1st of june and finished 1st week of october. During June and 3 weeks of July there was virtually no difference in the amount and size of walleye caught by either method. At the end of july, trash fish started to hit hard and the three stinger rig would have 3 trash fish which caused excitement until the catch was viewed. In august walleyes quit hitting the umbrella rigs entirely and I switched all rods back to one lure. Surprisingly, snagging in the landing net was no worse than a single lure, and tangles when storing the rods were uncommon. We did not catch more than one walleye at a time on the umbrella rigs but were hoping to do so. The rigs were legal and I carried a copy of DOW's website ruling with me. Three hooks per pole are allowed and a treble hook is considered one hook. Stingers are a spoon that has one treble hook so three on one pole are legal. Good Luck to everyone next season.
    Last edited by cooleyfarms; 12-27-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyfarms View Post
    I tried umbrella rigs on half my trolling rods during the season and my results are as follows ; I used 3 wire rigs with 2 6 inch wires on the outside and 1 8 inch wire in the center. 1 rig was on a dipsey diver with 3 michigan stingers and 1 rig was on a jet diver with 3 stingers on the same side of the boat. On the other side of the boat I used 1 stinger behind a dipsey diver on one pole and a stinger behind a jet diver on the other pole. I started my season the 1st of june and finished 1st week of october. During June and 3 weeks of July their was virtually no difference in the amount and size of walleye caught by either method. At the end of july, trash fish started to hit hard and the three stinger rig would have 3 trash fish which caused excitement until the catch was viewed. In august walleyes quit hitting the umbrella rigs entirely and I switched all rods back to one lure. Surprisingly, snagging in the landing net was no worse than a single lure, and tangles when storing the rods were uncommon. We did not catch more than one walleye at a time on the umbrella rigs but were hoping to do so. The rigs were legal and I carried a copy of DOW's website ruling with me. Three hooks per pole are allowed and a treble hook is considered one hook. Stingers are a spoon that has one treble hook so three on one pole are legal. Good Luck to everyone next season.
    Nice report and thanks as it will save me the trouble of trying them with single hook spinners. I will keep what I got!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default same thing

I used these as well and found that i could not catch more than 1 walleye as well, i did however notice that trolling 5-6 poles on a side it did tend to tangle other lines when i caught more than 1 trash fish. 2 sheep heads do bend the pole over pretty good. your right its like a bad christmas present you cant wait to see what you got but once it gets to the boat you just want to return it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny joe.. bad Christmas present!!! Lol.. I used them on a dipsey diver and had random success. I used the 5 arm style it had 4 arms off the sides and one in the middle.. I put a 3 foot leader in the middle with a worm harness and it.. only one of the four spoons had a hook on it. Only once did I catch two eyes... A 15 inch and a 27 inch. . But mostly I just caught junk