Western Basin Buoy (45165) Pulled for Season (and maybe forever) Western Basin Buoy (45165) Pulled for Season (and maybe forever) Western Basin Buoy (45165) Pulled for Season (and maybe forever) Western Basin Buoy (45165) Pulled for Season (and maybe forever)

Default Western Basin Buoy (45165) Pulled for Season (and maybe forever)

On Monday we pulled the 45165 buoy out of the water. It has been reporting real-time wind and wave conditions every 10 minutes for the last 6 months between Toledo Light #2 and the Toledo Harbor Light.

The Monroe News ran a story yesterday about us bringing in the buoy. http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/...etired-winter/

The buoy was funded this year through a project with the US Army Corps, however it was only a one year study. I'd love to see the buoy return next year and we are actively looking for local businesses, organizations, and individuals to help support this effort.

If you're a member of an organization/business please consider bringing up the buoy at your next meeting and if there's interest in supporting the project please email me. I'd also be willing to come to your organizations meeting to talk about our plans for next year and how your organization can be involved. Just give me a time and location and i'll bring the buoy down.

If you're an individual and relied on the buoy this year please email me and tell me how the buoy benefited you. Including specific examples and benefits will allow me to take these stories to organizations and businesses to show them that many people support the buoy.

Please forward this on to anyone else you think is interested in seeing station 45165 return next year.

Email me at [email protected] or you can call me at 734 681 0577

- Ed Verhamme

Default Bummer - Really depended on buoy

Darn...hoping it could come back next year. In my view , it is the best source of info for the West End. It's real time, and the camera gives you a much better feel than any written report. I always check it several times a day and for sure when heading up...sure helps me to better make the go-no go decision for a 2 hour drive.

I think it is a safety factor is helping people to know when they should stay off. The central basin has the buoy over there, but it is too far to give you any read on the west end! Sure would be nice if the national weather service would fund it to keep it going. Lets all email Ed with some letters of support!

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    Darn...hoping it could come back next year. In my view , it is the best source of info for the West End. It's real time, and the camera gives you a much better feel than any written report. I always check it several times a day and for sure when heading up...sure helps me to better make the go-no go decision for a 2 hour drive.

I think it is a safety factor is helping people to know when they should stay off. The central basin has the buoy over there, but it is too far to give you any read on the west end! Sure would be nice if the national weather service would fund it to keep it going. Lets all email Ed with some letters of support!
    Thanks for all of the emails guys! I've gotten about 12 great emails from folks. Keep sending them if you havne't already. I will be talking with a few businesses this month and your support really helps.

If there's any fishing clubs that need a guest speaker at their meeting let me know! I'd love to talk about the buoy.