Sheep Head ~ Sheep Head ~ Sheep Head ~ Sheep Head ~

Thread: Sheep Head ~

waterdog Guest

Default Sheep Head ~

:Was wondering if any of you have a good way to cook these fish?
    I do catch many of these fresh water drum.
    So anyone??

I have a friend who smokes them, he says they are delicious. I will keep some smaller ones and just keep the fillet above the lateral line. They fry up nicely.

One of my friends dated an Asian girl, he said her parents would eat about any sea crature put in front of them. But even they turned their noses to sheephead!

Default sheephead

i have heard of guys making poor man's shrimp out of them. After you catch the fish throw it immediately on ice. once back to the house skin the fish out, and chunk up the filet in bite size pieces. boil the pieces in seasoned water (use your own favorite seasoning and just add it right to the water)...once the fish is boiled remove and put back on ice and serve with cocktail sauce. i have yet to try this recipe but the next time i get on the water if i catch a sheepster im gunna give it a shot. good luck

havnt tried this yet sounds ok use the back strap boil in 7up serve with melted butter
    i assume take out of the boil and cool in ice water to firm up

Cedar plank sheaphead:
    Ingredients
    1 cedar plank (6 by 14 inches)
    2 sheaphead fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    6 tablespoons brown sugar

Soak cedar plank in salted water for 2 hours, then drain. Remove skin from sheephead fillet. Remove any remaining bones. Rinse the sheephead under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Generously season the sheephead with salt and pepper on both sides. Lay the sheephead (on what was skin-side down) on the cedar plank and carefully spread the mustard over the top and sides. Place the brown sugar in a bowl and crumble between your fingers, then sprinkle over the mustard.Set grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium-high. Place the cedar plank in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until cooked through, around 20 to 30 minutes. The internal temperature should read 135 degrees F. Transfer the sheaphead and plank to a platter and serve right off the plank.Cook's Note: A direct method to grill the sheephead may be used. Soak the cedar plank well. Spread the mustard and brown sugar on the sheephead, but do not place the fish on the plank. Set up the grill for direct grilling on medium-high. When ready to cook, place the plank on the hot grate and leave it until there is a smell of smoke, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the plank over and place the fish on top. Cover the grill and cook until the fish is cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 135 degrees F. Check the plank occasionally. If the edges start to catch fire, mist with water, or move the plank to a cooler part of the grill.
    When finished remove from grill, throw away sheaphead and eat the plank.
    Last edited by ReelTime; 09-18-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215

just make sure to clean them like white bass. cut the fillet off the fish then trim the red meat off the back side. soak them overnight in buttermilk in the fridge. clean the fillets and dip in a stirred up egg and roll in a 75/25 mix of cornmeal and flour and add a little salt and black pepper and fry to a golden brown.
    sherman

Thumbs up Poor Man's Shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by FishOn205 View Post
    i have heard of guys making poor man's shrimp out of them. After you catch the fish throw it immediately on ice. once back to the house skin the fish out, and chunk up the filet in bite size pieces. boil the pieces in seasoned water (use your own favorite seasoning and just add it right to the water)...once the fish is boiled remove and put back on ice and serve with cocktail sauce. i have yet to try this recipe but the next time i get on the water if i catch a sheepster im gunna give it a shot. good luck
    I've tried this and, surprisingly, it was very good. Even got thumbs up from the wife and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Cedar plank sheaphead:
    Ingredients
    1 cedar plank (6 by 14 inches)
    2 salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    6 tablespoons brown sugar

...throw away the sheephead and eat the plank
    This is the same thought I had lol

Greg

waterdog Guest

Default ~I will give this a try~

Quote Originally Posted by Eyecutioner View Post
    I've tried this and, surprisingly, it was very good. Even got thumbs up from the wife and kids.
    Poor mans shrimp...Sounds good~! Keeping my next big sheep head