Using chum to attract perch? Using chum to attract perch? Using chum to attract perch? Using chum to attract perch?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't it be easier to just move to another spot? I use the 10 minute rule, no fish, move the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye_Rick View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to just move to another spot? I use the 10 minute rule, no fish, move the boat.
    If I don't catch a fish in 10 minutes I move as well. But sometimes after you find them you can get the perch bite fired up and get up and down action.

Post Thanks / Like

Post The quoted material is from the National Audubon Society’s Field Guide to fishes, B

I researched more about fish biology and was amazed by this paragraph from the Audubon Field Guide to Fishes; Biology of Fishes section, page 25.

“A conspicuous landmark on the body of most ray-finned fishes is the lateral line, typically a tubular canal that runs along the length of the fish at mid-side just beneath the scales and usually ends at the caudal fin base or extends to the tip of the tail. Branch tubes reach the surface through the scales, where they open to the outside through small pores. Each pore leads into a canal that contains sensory nerve endings; the sensory structures record vibrations, helping the fish avoid obstacles and locate prey. These specialized pores or pored scales may form a visible lateral line. (A lateral line is considered to be complete when it runs uninterrupted from the opercle to the caudal fin base and incomplete when it does not reach the caudal fin base.) Some species do not have a visible lateral line on the body, while a few have several lateral lines. The position of the lateral line(s) on the fish’s body and the number and size of the scales in the lateral line are often important identification clues. In addition, some species have sensory pores on the head, the overall pattern of which can also be useful in identification”.

After taking all the information that I had gathered, I began to try different things some work and some don't.

Just sayin...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Chummin

Tried the cat food trick today, 6 catfish 1 dogfish I guess the dog fish was chasing the cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firetiger View Post
    Anyone got any pics of these so called "perch attractors"
    Here is a picture of a home made perch caller.

Post Thanks / Like

I know rice works. Not 100% must it does work.

Post Thanks / Like

I was perching one day earlier this year with no success, our last stop we fished for about 1 hour and had 3 perch, we were tired of moving and just stayed there after about another 30 minutes it was up and down, no motor running, no chumming, nothing stirring up the bottom. we had our 60 fish in a hurry go figure. I'm not saying that stuff doesn't work, maybe the fish just turned on it was around 7pm.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washers on 20lb test

I have been using 10 heavy stainless steel washers (about 1.5 inches) tied to 20lb test every 3 inches or so and dropped to the bottom for years.
    I tie them to the closest cleat. When the boat moves up and down from the waves, they make a metalic clicking noise as they hit the bottom.

I figured a massive clank from the big "perch callers" was too much for the fish when it got close.

Give it a try.

PS. it is cheap....
    All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a certain boat that posts on here from time to time used a red block as an attractant. I don't know if it helped but it was one of those big blocks you use for building and it was painted red with a rope tied around it. It was a lot harder to pull that up then the anchor was and I think the captain of the boat use to get a good laugh out of watching me bring it up.

I thought about using a more classic chum like they would use in Europe which would consist of fresh bread flake (pulverized in a food processor) with some pulverized shiners in it left over from a trip. My concern is the current at the bottom of the lake could disperse the chum over a fairly large are making it useless to me. I still want to try it but have reservations about putting shiners in my food processor, the shiner flavored bread particles should get whatever is down there feeding but with my luck it would be a fish ohio goby.

Post Thanks / Like

Default chumming for perch

I used to know an old timer who has been gone for along time. He owned his own bakery, so he used alot of eggs for baking. He always keep the shells during fishing season and would crush them up and use them for an attractant by throwing them in the the water. Making it look like a school of shiners where he was fishing. He swore that was his trick to many limits of perch.